September 3, 2019 City Council Minutes
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
September 3, 2019
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:32p.m. with the following members present: Councilor Joe Prebeg Jr., Alan Stanaway, Julie Buria, Steve Skogman, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig Wainio, City Administrator; Tim Satrang, Director of Public Works; Anna Amundson, Library Director/Special Events Coordinator; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Rod Flannigan, City Engineer; and SGT John Backman, Sherriff’s Department.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Buria that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the August 19, 2019, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period August 16-31, totaling $654,189.44 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period August 16-31, totaling $332,085.15 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried unanimously on roll call vote.
- No one spoke during the forum
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Condolences to the family and friends of those innocent families of the recent shooting in Texas
- During the month of August a total of 6 mass shootings alone
- Happy Birthday to Gladys Kujala turning 89 years old September 4th
- Happy Birthday to Agnes Manninen turned 100 years old September 2nd
- Good luck and best wishes to all the local Sports Teams this coming year
- Good luck and best wishes to Matt Niskanen and his new NHL team Philadelphia Flyers
- Preliminary levy due at the end of September
- Facilitator for Shared Services study has been identified, meetings will be scheduled this fall
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Prebeg to approve the included agreement with the Salvation Army for their Heat Share program for the 2019-2020 year. The motion carried.
Director of Public Works:
- Unity Drive and Highway 7 intersection water project will be starting
- Patching will continue once weather cooperates
- Sewer jetting will begin shortly
Library Director/Special Events Director:
- September “Library Card drive month,” sign up to get your Library Card
- Sunday, October 27th Annual Halloween Carnival at Mountain Iron Community Center
- Collaborating with the MIB Cross Country team
- Sponsor the “12th Annual Larry Nanti 3K run/walk”
- Tentative date October 26th
- No formal report
- No formal report
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Skogman to approve Resolution #09-19; Authorizing the City of Mountain Iron to make an application and accept funds from the Development Partnership Grant program from the Department of IRRR. The motion carried unanimously.
At 6:49p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Buria that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Municipal Services Secretary