Resolution 19-07 Public Safety Board
RESOLUTION NUMBER 19-07
ESTABLISHING A MOUNTAIN IRON PUBLIC
SAFETY AND HEALTH BOARD
BE IT RESOLVED by the City Council of the City of Mountain Iron, St. Louis County, Minnesota as follows:
1. The Mountain Iron Public Safety and Health Board is hereby established to be advisory to the City Council and which Public Safety and Health Board shall have the powers and duties hereinafter set forth.
2. The Mountain Iron Public Safety and Health Board shall consist of five (5) members.
3. Membership and Qualifications. Two (2) members of the Board shall be City Council members and the remaining three (3) members of the Board shall be residents of the City while serving on the Board and shall service for a term of three (3) years. The two (2) city councilors shall serve during their terms of office. The initial appointment of the three (3) resident citizen members shall be as follows:
A. One (1) to a term to expire December 31, 2007;
B. One (1) to a term to expire December 31, 2008; and
C. One (1) to a term to expire December 31, 2009.
Terms shall expire on December 31st of the appropriate year, provided, however, those members shall continue their terms until new appointments or re-appointments are made by the City Council. The City Council shall make appointments to the Board at its first official meeting in January of each year or as soon thereafter as it desires. Vacancies during the term shall be filled by the City Council for the unexpired portion of the term.
4. Removal of Members. The Council by a four-fifths (4/5) vote of its members shall have the authority to remove any member of the Board from office whenever, in its discretion, the best interests of the City shall be served thereby.
5. Meetings and Officers. The Board will name its own officers to serve at its pleasure from the membership of the Board.
A. Regular Meetings. The Board shall meet publicly in regular session at least once each quarter at a time and place selected by a majority of its members.
B. Special Meetings. The Chairperson or any two (2) members of the Board shall have the authority to call a special meeting of the Board. Written notice of special meetings shall be given to all members at least 24 hours prior to the time of the meeting unless the time and place for the special meeting is set at a regular meeting.
6. Board Staff Services. The Board shall receive input and staff services from law enforcement staff, fire department officials, emergency management staff, the first responders group and designated blight officials within the City of Mountain Iron.
7. Rules and Procedures. The Board shall adopt a set of rules to govern its own meetings and procedures. The rules may be amended from time to time but only upon notice to all members that the said proposed amendment shall be acted upon at a specified meeting. A majority vote of the Board shall be required for the approval of the proposed amendment.
8. Absence of Members. Absence from three (3) consecutive regular meetings without the formal consent of the Board shall be deemed to constitute a resignation of a member, and a vacancy thus created shall be tilled thereafter by appointment of the City Council for the remainder of the term of the member so deemed to have resigned.
9. Powers and Duties. The Board shall have the following powers and duties:
A. To confer with and advise the City Council on all matters concerning the management and operation of the law enforcement unit, the fire department, the emergency management system, first responders, and enforcement of blight ordinances within the City of Mountain Iron.
10. Annual Report. The Mountain Iron Public Safety and Health Board shall make a report to the City Council of its activities in December of each year.
DULY ADOPTED BY THE CITY COUNCIL THIS 16th DAY OF APRIL, 2007.
Mayor Gary Skalko