PSHB 4-28-21 Minutes
Public Safety and Health Board Meeting Minutes
Mountain Iron Community Center
April 28, 2021
The meeting was scheduled at 6:30 P.M by Mayor Peggy Anderson.
- Members present: Councilor Julie Buria, Steve Hunter, Margaret Ratai, Councilor Steve Skogman, Margaret Soyring. Also, present: St. Louis County Sheriff Sgt. Kevin Friebe, Councilor Ed Roskoski.
- Consent Agenda
- Consent Agenda approval presented by Councilor Steve Skogman.
- Motion by and second by M. Soyring with second by S. Hunter to approve the September 30, 2020 minutes. Motion Carried.
- October 26.2020 Mountain Iron Call and Mutual Aid Report for Quarters 1-3 by acting Fire Chief Mark Madden sent via email.
- October 30, 2020 meeting was cancelled by previous Chairperson Al Stanaway via email to members.
- December 2,2020 email from St. Louis County Stg. John Backman announcing his transfer to patrol duty effective January 1, 2021 Louis County Sheriff Sgt. Kevin Friebe was named his replacement by Sheriff Litman.
III. Public Forum: None
- Committee Staff Reports
- First Responders: No report. MIFD is with Virginia Fire Department (VFD) at a Virginia area mutual aid fire.
Discussion about two of the five First Responders were out for the majority of the last reporting period due to testing positive for COVID-19. They are now cleared and available. One of the remaining three First Responders returned to work from a seasonal layoff further limiting availability to respond to calls.
- Fire Department Report: Report by M. Soyring due MIFD at mutual aid fire with
MIFD staffing: Chief Knapper is on leave of absence. City Council has appointed Asst. Chief Mark Madden as interim chief and Jim Hipple as Asst. Chief.
Five (5) First Responders are in Training and will be added to the roster in the next 3-4 weeks. Some firefighters are considering becoming First Responders.
Applications for Firefighters and First Responders are being receive and processed.
Interim Chief Madden is working with VFD to review and update the Knox Box Ordinance.
Trainings are being held with other local fire departments.
Interim Fire Chief Madden has been attending City Council Meetings. If he cannot attend the Council Meetings and/or Public Safety and Health Meetings, Asst. Chief Hipple will represent MIFD dependent upon calls for MIFD or VFD.
- Sheriff’s Office Report: No report.
Discussion lead by S. Skogman about increased bear activity in the City limits due to an individual feeding bear. Discussion by S. Skogman to have an ordinance making it against the law to feed game animals in the City. Sheriff Sgt. Friebe will contact the DNR to have both DNR staff and Sgt. Friebe talk to the individual about restricting feeding bears within city limits. Follow-up at the next Board meeting.
- Other – Mesabi Human Society Animal Control: No report. S. Skogman will request a report from the City Administrator.
Per S. Skogman that five (5) dog licenses have been purchased to date.
- Unfinished Business
- City Council approved the following Ordinance updates in 2020:
Chapter 31: §31:001 Fire Department combining Fire Department and First Responders
Chapter 93: Animal Control
Chapter 96 Nuisances : §96.15-96 Public Health and Public Nuisances
- Ratai will contact C. Wainio , City Administrator, about posting the revisions on the City Administration, Codes website page and obtaining an electronic copy for Board members.
- City Council did not act on Ordinance Chapter 115 Tobacco Regulations for lack of a second per report by S. Skogman. The revision address requested to have federal changes effective12/21/20. No feedback to date from City Administrator.
- Information about recycling program and city website resources will be included with the next Utility Billing per S. Skogman.
- New Business
- Nomination of 2021 Public Safety and Health Board Officers:
- Motion by M. Ratai and Second by S. Hunter to Nominate M. Soyring for Board Chairperson
- Motion by S. Hunter and second by J. Buria to Nominate S. Skogman for Board Chairperson.
- Motion by S. Hunter and second by S. Skogman to nominate M. Ratai for Secretary.
- Discussion about having a Vice Chairperson in the event the Chairperson is not available. There is no mention of this office in the City of Mountain Iron Resolution 19-07 Public Safety Board.
- Nomination for Vice Chairperson: Motion by J. Buria and second by M. Soyring to nominate S. Skogman as Vice Chairperson.
- Election of Officers by voice vote:
- Soyring for Chairperson: 4 yes, 1 abstain.
- Skogman for Chairperson: 1 yes, 3 no, 1 abstain.
- Skogman for Vice Chairperson: 4 yes, 1 abstain
- Ratai for Secretary: 4 yes, 1 abstain.
- 2021 City of Mountain Iron Public Safety and Health Board Officers are
- Soyring, Chairperson
- Skogman, Vice Chairperson
- Ratai, Secretary
- Anna Amundson, Library Director/Special Events Coordinator, exploring Community Pride Day that would address picking up litter and “sprucing up” the City. Anytime Fitness members picked up garbage and liter on Earth Day in the Quad Cities.
VII. Open Discussion
- Ratai will contact C. Wainio, City Administrator, about posting the January 20, 2020 and September 30, 2020 minutes on the City website.
- Discussion about having a link on the City website to access Council meetings that are currently broadcast on the community college website.
- Discussion held about City Council members having Board minutes which was done in the past. Noted that Board members can access the City Website to get agendas and minutes but not always current this past year due to COVID 19.
- Next Public Safety and Health Board meeting will be held on May 26, 2021 at 6:30 PM, Mountain Iron City Hall.
- Motion S. Skogman by and second by M. Ratai to adjourn the meeting. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 7:28 P.M. by Chairperson M. Soyring.
Respectfully submitted by: