October 21, 2019 City Council Minutes
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
October 21, 2019
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:31p.m. with the following members present: Councilor Joe Prebeg Jr., Alan Stanaway, Julie Buria, Steve Skogman, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig Wainio, City Administrator; Tim Satrang, Director of Public Works; Anna Amundson, Library Director/Special Events Coordinator; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; SGT John Backman, Sherriff’s Department; Al Johnson, City Engineer and Bryan Lindsay, City Attorney.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Buria that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the October 7, 2019, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period October 1-15, totaling $153,904.99 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period October 1-15, totaling $473,023.81 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried unanimously on roll call vote.
- No one spoke during the forum
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Proposed businesses/development within the Rock Ridge Development area
- Current Holiday Inn Express has been sold – new owner with possible name change
- Developer purchased roughly 4-5 acres north of current Holiday Inn
- Tentatively proposed building a new Holiday Inn Express
- West of Lake Country Power
- 70 unit market rate based Apartment Complex
- Condolences to the family and friends of Paul Fischer
- Condolences to the family and friends of Albert Lind
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to accept the letter of resignation of Gerry Golobich from the position on the Parks & Recreation Board, with an effective date of Friday, October 11, 2019. The motion carried.
- Good luck to Blaine and the entire Mountain Iron-Buhl football team on the upcoming game, semi-final section VII-nine man game at MIB School Football field
- Saturday, October 26th at 2:00pm
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Prebeg to approve the Audit proposal from Walker, Giroux and Hahne, LLC to perform the 2019 City Audit. The proposal price is $26,000 for the Governmental Funds and $11,300 for the Enterprise Funds. The motion carried unanimously on roll call vote.
Director of Public Works:
- Fall flushing of Fire Hydrants complete
- Electrical crew finishing power upgrade on Highway 169 and near the School
- Sewer slip lining almost complete
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Buria to approve the quote and approve the Garbage truck tandem dump-box replacement in the amount of $16,889.00 from Twin Star Equipment and Mfg., Clearwater, MN. The motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to accept the recommendation of the Parks & Recreation Board to authorize the advertisement for winter workers for Rink Attendants for the upcoming season. The motion carried.
Library Director/Special Events Director:
- Saturday, October 26th “Larry Nanti 5k/10k run,” in partnership with MIB Cross-country Team and Range Runners (chipped time)
- Sunday, October 27th Annual Halloween Carnival at Mountain Iron Community Center
- No formal report
- No formal report
- No formal report
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Buria to approve Resolution #15-19; Re-establishing polling places, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried unanimously.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Skogman to authorize Sundberg Enterprises, LLC, DBA: The Sawmill Saloon and Restaurant to serve alcohol at the Range Association of Municipalities and Schools (RAMS), scheduled for December 19, 2019 at the Mountain Iron Community Center. The motion carried.
At 7:00p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Buria that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Municipal Services Secretary
- Saturday, October 26th at the MIB High School “12th Annual Larry Nanti”
- Registration is from 8:00am-8:45am
- Sunday, October 27th at the Mountain Iron Community Center “Halloween Carnival”
- Carnival is from 12:00-3:00pm
- Tuesday, October 29th at the Minnesota Discovery Center “Connect with the Range Delegation”
- Louis County is proposing an $11.20 increase per ton for solid waste disposal fee for mixed municipal solid waste