October 1, 2018 City Council Minutes
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
October 1, 2018
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:30p.m. with the following members present: Councilor Joe Prebeg, Jr., Alan Stanaway, Steve Skogman and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Tim Satrang, Director of Public Works; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Sally Yuccas, Library Director/Special Events Coordinator; Rod Flannigan, City Engineer; SGT John Backman, Sheriff’s Department. Absent: Councilor Sue Tuomela.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Prebeg that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Add the following items to the agenda:
- MIB Cross Country Donation
- Approve the minutes of the September 17, 2018, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period September 16-30, totaling $427,427.05 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period September 16-30, totaling $224,752.17 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried on roll call vote with Councilor Tuomela absent.
- No one spoke during the forum
The Mayor reported on the following:
- 1st Anniversary of the Las Vegas Concert shooting, something that cannot be forgotten
- Condolences to the family and friends of David Buria
- 2018 Mountain Iron-Buhl Football Hall of Fame newest Inductees
- Tony Marcella – Mountain Iron Class of 1948
- Dave Schley – Mountain Iron Class of 1960
- Ken Kottke – Mountain Iron Class of 1964
- Ken Oja – Buhl Class of 1967
- Dave Hurley – Buhl Class 1979
- David (DJ) Winfield –Mountain Iron-Buhl Class of 2007
- Public hearing on Mountain Iron drive at next meeting, Monday, October 15, 2018
- Reviewing Capital improvement 5-year plan during month of October
- October 16th at 7:00pm, hosting Solar United Partners at the Mountain Iron Community Center
- Informational Solar Session
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Stanaway to set up budget meeting for, Monday, October 29th at 6:30pm, for budget review with the Council members, all Department Heads, in addition to Lead Chair members of Boards and Committees. The motion carried with Councilor Tuomela absent.
Director of Public Works
- City Crews out flushing hydrants and jetting sewers to keep things operational
- US Steel completed demolition in Parkville- 8 houses total
- Meeting with Benchmark and the MPCA for final meetings regarding Nichols Decommissioning
Library Director/Special Events Coordinator:
- Thursday, October 4th “Taste of Mountain Iron,” at Mountain Iron Community Center, 4-6:30pm
- Tickets purchased at the Mountain Iron Library
- October 8-12, “Teen week” and “Tween week”
- Movie day, scavenger hunt, “Adult Coloring Contest,” something everyday
- Tuesday, October 9th book to movie “Memory keeper’s Daughter,” at 2:00pm and 5:30pm
- No formal report
- Facebook rumors regarding stalking, not true
- No calls and reports regarding stalking or children being taken in Walmart or Target on Iron Range
- Temporary signs placed on Unity as curbs on side streets painted yellow for “No Parking” areas
- At no time has there been a lack of parking in the MIB School for events
- MIB School is ultimately in charge of the parking lot, whilst the City is in charge of the Streets within the City
- Littering in the yards in Unity II Addition is an individual problem, addressed by Sheriff’s Department personnel
- Nothing to report
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Skalko to accept the recommendation of the Personnel Committee and offer the Library Director/Special Events Coordinator position to Mrs. Anna Amundson, employment is contingent upon passing of physical, background check, drug and alcohol test. The motion carried with Councilor Tuomela absent.
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Prebeg to donate $200 to the MIB Cross Country Team. Monies to come from the Charitable Gambling Fund. The motion carried with Councilor Tuomela absent.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Skogman to authorize Sundberg Enterprises, LLC, DBA: The Sawmill Saloon and Restaurant to serve alcohol at the League of Minnesota Cities Regional Meeting, scheduled for October 10, 2018 and the United Way’s “Power of the Purse,” scheduled for January 31, 2019 at the Mountain Iron Community Center. The motion carried with Councilor Tuomela absent.
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Stanaway to donate $300 to the Friends of the Mountain Iron Library for the “Taste of Mountain Iron.” The monies to come from the Charitable Gambling Fund. The motion carried with Councilor Tuomela absent.
At 7:02p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Skogman that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried with Councilor Tuomela absent.
Municipal Services Secretary
- Solar United Neighbors, Iron Range Solar Co-op, informational sessional on Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 7:00pm at the Mountain Iron Community Center, Iroquois Room.
- Tuesday, October 9, 2018, at 5:00pm, the Fire Department will have a new Fire Truck that will be available to view at the Mountain Iron Fire Hall/City Garage