November 15, 2021 City Council Minutes
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
November 15, 2021
Mayor Anderson called the City Council meeting to order at 6:30p.m. with the following members present: Councilor Ed Roskoski, Julie Buria, Joe Prebeg Jr. and Mayor Peggy Anderson. Also present were: Craig Wainio, City Administrator; Tim Satrang, Director of Public Works; Anna Amundson, Library Director/Special Events Coordinator; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Al Johnson, City Engineer; Bryan Lindsay, City Attorney; Grant Toma, Sheriff’s Department; and Jim Hipple, Assistant Fire Chief. Absent members: Councilor Steve Skogman.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Buria that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the November 1, 2021, Committee of Whole meeting as submitted.
- Approve the minutes of the November 1, 2021, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period November 1-15, totaling $203,093.04 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes),
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period November 1-15, totaling $425,549.46 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried with Councilor Skogman absent.
- No one spoke during the public forum
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Thank you to the Mountain Iron Fire Department for their participation in the homecoming parade for the MIB Football team, Section 7A champs for 4th year
- Committee of the Whole meeting to discuss the Budget not set yet
It was moved by Roskoski and seconded by Buria to accept the recommendation of the Parks & Recreation Board to authorize the advertisement for seasonal/part-time winter workers for Rink Attendants for the upcoming season. Applicants must be 16 years of age or older, application deadline is Tuesday, November 30, 2021 by 4:00pm to City Hall. The motion carried.
Director or Public Works:
- Water Treatment plant siding and roof project completed
- interior of plant being cleaned and completed
- water heater installation projected still waiting to be completed
- Community Center gutter installation will be completed in Spring 2022
- Outside Construction projects coming to end for the Winter, interior of buildings will continue
Library Director/Special Events Coordinator:
- Trucks and Treats
- Huge success at all locations
- Voting at locations, “Food Theme” at Mesabi YMCA had the most votes
- Big thank you to all the volunteers and the Fire Department who made it a success
- 2nd Annual “Holiday Lighting contest”
- Judging – Friday, December 17th and Saturday, December 18th
- Library awarded Grant money, roughly $4,800, will use upgrade children’s area
- No formal report
- No formal report
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Buria to approve Pay Request No. 5 – for the Proposed Well #3 project in the amount of $25,222.50, to Peterson Well Drilling, Mountain Iron, MN. This amount includes a 5% retainage. The motion carried on roll call vote (4:0) with Councilor Skogman absent.
- “Spaghetti Feed” fundraiser/benefit for Firefighter Kyle Tomczyk & family
- November 22, 2021 at Mountain Iron Community Center
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Roskoski to approve the recommendation of the Personnel Committee and hire Keenan Gantz to the Mountain Iron Fire Department as paid on call firefighters, contingent on physical and background check. The motion carried with Councilor Skogman absent.
- Complaint was raised to Mr. Jerry Kujala, Zoning Administrator at Planning & Zoning, regarding sump pump drainage, causing soggy, watery conditions for their neighbors
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Buria to approve Ordinance #03-21; Amending Chapter 31 of the Mountain Iron City Code relating to the Fire Department as presented (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried with Councilor Skogman absent.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Buria to approve the agreement as presented with Essentia Health-Virginia, for the City of Mountain Iron Community Center to become an alternate care site in the event of an emergency evacuation. The motion carried with Councilor Skogman absent.
At 6:56p.m., it was moved by Buria and seconded by Prebeg that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried with Councilor Skogman absent.
Municipal Services Secretary
- Range Association of Municipalities and Schools will have a meeting on Wednesday, December 29th at the Mountain Iron Community Center, with the election of delegates