Meeting Minutes for September 04, 2012
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
SEPTEMBER 4, 2012
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. with the following members present: Joe Prebeg, Jr., Susan Tuomela, Ed Roskoski, Tony Zupancich, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Jill M. Clark, Municipal Services Secretary; Rod Flannigan, City Engineer; Michael Downs, Interim Public Works Director; Sally Peterangelo, Librarian; John Backman, Sergeant; and George Eilertson, Northland Securities.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Prebeg that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the August 20, 2012, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period August 16-31, 2012 totaling $837,505.28, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period August 16-31, 2012, totaling $221,970.80, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
During the public forum, George Eilertson, Northland Securities, reviewed the rates for the City to refinance of the 2005A General Obligation Crossover Bonds. He said that the Council should consider a possible sale on October 15, 2012, for an estimated net debt service reduction of approximately $44,482.
It was moved by Roskoski and seconded by Zupancich to direct City Staff to work with Northland Securities on the bond refinancing issue. The motion carried.
Also during the public forum, Greg Brownell, Rick Poaletti, Dave Bratulich, and John Kolterman appeared before the Council to advise the Council that they disagreed with the need to obtain a building permit for repairs to hail damaged roofs. They stated that this was for repairs and not new construction. The Council referred the issue to the Planning and Zoning Commission.
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Mountain Iron-Buhl Football. He said that the following football players would be inducted into the Mountain Iron-Buhl Hall of Fame on September 8, 2012: Milan Luzaich, Jim Milich, Richard Pernu, Chuck Bianchi, Harvey Hellyer, Jerry Giru, Mike Fiola, Rocky Sutich, and Christoper Markas.
- Mountain Iron Archery Range. He reminded the residents that the City Archery Range is located on County Road 102 in the South Grove Recreational Complex.
- Birthday: He congratulated Gladys Kujala on her birthday.
The City Administrator reported on the following:
- IRRRB Grant Applications. He said that the deadline for the Public Works Grant applications was October 15, 2012.
- Capital Improvements. He requested the Council to submit ideas for capital improvements for 2013 and beyond.
- Questions by Councilor Roskoski. Councilor Roskoski requested the Administrator to post the information for the IRRRB and AEOA home rehabilitation program on the public access television station. Councilor Roskoski also discussed the differences in the Long Range Planning versus the Strategic Planning meetings.
At 7:01 p.m. Councilor Tuomela left the meeting.
At 7:03 p.m. Council Tuomala returned to the meeting.
It was moved by Roskoski to have advertisements placed in all of the usual media, soliciting participants from the general public, to be involved with the next planning session tentatively set for September 20, 2012, at 2:00 p.m. at the Mountain Iron Public Library. The motion failed for lack of a second.
Councilor Roskoski requested that numbers be placed on the city financial reports that are submitted to the Council quarterly to make it easier to ask questions about the financial statements. The Mayor referred Councilor Roskoski to the Finance and Budget Committee for any questions.
The Interim Director of Public Works reported on the following:
- Power Outage. There was a power outage on September 1, 2012, in the downtown Mountain Iron area caused by a tree bumping the line.
- Summer Labor Positions. The summer workers are done for the season.
- County Road 102. Councilor Roskoski asked what was being done in the area. The Interim Director said that a storm sewer had collapsed and City Staff was completing the necessary repairs.
- Enterprise Drive South. Councilor Roskoski questioned the Director regarding City Staff striping the street. He said that this striping project would be contracted out because the City does not have the appropriate equipment to complete the job.
The Librarian/Special Events Coordinator reported on the following:
- Library Report. She presented the August 2012 Library statistics report to the Council.
- Library Hours. The Library hours would be changing and now they would be open on Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and closed on Fridays.
- MIB Hall of Fame. The Friends of the Library would be hosting an Open House at the Library from 9:00-10:00 am to meet the Football Players being inducted into the Hall of Fame.
- Art Mural Project. The Artist preparing the mural for the Library should have the project completed by October or November.
The Sergeant reported that the Sawmill Saloon had held their Summer Concert and the Sheriff’s Department had received two noise complaints during the concert. He also said that he had heard some incorrect statements made during the concert. He had heard that the City was not backing the event; he clarified to the public that the City issued a permit and made arrangements for the event.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela to authorize payment request number two for the County Road 7 Utility Improvement Project to Ulland Brothers Incorporated in the amount of $97,745.78. The motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Roskoski to accept the recommendation of the Utility Advisory Board and authorize the installation of outlets in the park located next to the Mountain Iron-Buhl High School to be used for various events and charge a fee of $5 per day for the utilization of this power. The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to accept the recommendation of the Parks and Recreation Board and approve the Ballfield Lease between the City of Mountain Iron and the Mountain Iron-Buhl School District, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Zupancich to adopt Resolution Number 18-12, approving the proposed 2012 tax levy collectable 2013, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela to adopt Resolution Number 19-12, approving the proposed 2013 market rate based referendum levy for the General Obligation Community Center Bonds and Interest, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Prebeg to adopt Resolution Number 20-12, concerning the 2013 Economic Development Authority Tax Levy, (a copy is attached The motion carried with Roskoski voting no.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to authorize Jeff & Greg Properties, Inc. dba: B. G.’s Saloon, to serve alcohol in the Mountain Iron Community Center, for the following events:
- Tammaro Wedding Reception on September 8, 2012.
- St. Michael’s Chili Cook Off on September 20, 2012.
- Hartline Wedding Reception on October 8, 2012.
The motion carried.
The Council reviewed the list of communications.
At 7:28 p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Jill M. Clark, MMC
Municipal Services Secretary
1. Minnesota State Old Time Fiddle Contest, a thank you for the contribution and additional information regarding the contest.
2. Tri-Cities Biosolids Disposal Authority, forwarding the 2013 budget.
3. Biosolids Disposal Site Authority, forwarding the 2013 budget.