Meeting Minutes for October 21, 2013
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
OCTOBER 21, 2013
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. with the following members present: Joe Prebeg, Jr., Susan Tuomela, Tony Zupancich, Alan Stanaway, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Jill M. Clark, Municipal Services Secretary; Michael Downs, Director of Public Works; Rod Flannigan, City Engineer; and Brian Lindsay, City Attorney.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Add the following item to the agenda:
VI. E. Fire Department-Captain Position Hiring
- Approve the minutes of the October 7, 2013, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period October 1-15, 2013 totaling $264,097.49, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period October 1-15, 2013, totaling $394,402.85, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
No one spoke during the public forum.
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Minnesota Lynx. He commented that the team was doing well.
- World Barrel Racing Championship. He wished Councilor Prebeg and City Engineer Flannigan good luck at the competition in Atlanta, Georgia, next week.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela to authorize, effective May 25, 2013, the maximum accumulation of sick leave for Mr. Wainio as ninety (90) working days. The City of Mountain Iron and Mr. Wainio agree to a payout of accumulated sick leave on the date of approval of this proposal. Payment shall be based on Mr. Wainio’s base hourly rate plus longevity, and shall be placed into Mr. Wainio’s current 457 retirement account. The motion carried.
The Council reviewed the Sheriff’s Department September 2013 statistic report.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Zupancich to adopt Resolution Number 37-13A, charitable gambling premise permit, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela to adopt Resolution Number 38-13, setting a public hearing on a vacation commenced by petition of a majority of abutting landowners, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to approve the Contractor Safety Policy, Number 2013-02, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela to authorize the audit proposal from Walker, Giroux and Hahne, Ltd. to perform the 2013 audit at the proposed price of $22,500 for the Governmental Funds and $10,500 for the Enterprise Funds. The motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Prebeg to accept the recommendation of the Public Safety and Health Board and hire Matt Mattson as a Fire Department Captain, Truck Inspection Officer Position. The motion carried.
At 6:45 p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Jill M. Clark, MMC
Municipal Services Secretary
- Saint Louis County, a letter advising the City that the St. Louis County Board voted on September 24, 2013 to eliminate assessment fees effective January 1, 2014.
- Saint Louis County, forwarding the draft St. Louis County Subsurface Sewage Treatment System Ordinance 61.