Meeting Minutes for October 17, 2016
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
October 17, 2016
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:30p.m. with the following Council members present: Susan Tuomela, Alan Stanaway, Tony Zupancich, Joe Prebeg, Jr. and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Mike Downs, Director of Public Works; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Sally Yuccas, Librarian Director/Special Events Director; Bryan Lindsey, City Attorney; John Backman Sheriff’s Department and Al Johnson, City Engineer.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the October 3, 2016, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period October 16-31, 2016 totaling $224,796.90(a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period October 16-31, 2016, totaling $544,494.44 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried on a roll call vote.
- No one spoke during Forum
- Condolences to the family of William “Bill” Buria
- Woodland Estates’ first Building permit has been applied for to the City of Mountain Iron
- Election Day is November 8th, don’t forget to Vote!
City Administrator reported on following:
- Accepting applications for Winter workers, Rink attendant workers
- Congratulations to Mountain Iron’s 5th and 6th grade football team, won League Championship game over Cherry, thank to Jeremy Jesch, Rick Busch and Dan Zubich
Director of Public Works:
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela to authorize the disposal of 23 surplus nonworking pole mount transformers to T&R Electric. T&R will pay the City $2,021.25 for the transformers. The motion carried.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela to authorize the disposal of 2 poles and 1 pad mount transformers with high PCB content to Clean Harbors. Due to high amounts of PCB it will cost the City of Mountain Iron $1,857.56 to dispose. The motion carried on roll call vote.
Director of Special Events/Library Director:
- Sunday, October 30th, “Annual Mountain Iron Halloween Carnival,” 12:00 pm to 3:00pm at the Mountain Iron Community Center
- Tuesday, November 15th, “2nd Annual Taste of Mountain Iron,” 4-6:30 pm, 300 tickets limited tickets
- No formal report
- Calendar parking starts November 1st
City Engineer report:
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to award base bid of the South Grove Drainage Improvement project to Mesabi Bituminous Inc. of Gilbert, MN, in the amount of $13,200.00. The motion carried on roll call vote.
City Attorney report:
- No formal report
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Stanaway to approve the date of November 21st at 5pm for the Committee-of-the-Whole Budget Meeting. The motion carried.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Prebeg to approve the date of November 21st, following scheduled City Council meeting, for a Closed Meeting for Performance Reviews of Salaried Staff. The motion carried.
At 6:46p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Municipal Services Secretary
- Mountain iron Comprehensive Plan Public Review Meeting, to review draft recommendations being proposed in 2016 Comprehensive Plan Update, scheduled for October 27th at 6:00pm, at the Mountain Iron Community Center. All residents are welcome.
- Notice of Public Hearing, Mountain Iron City Council will hold public hearing on Monday, November 7th at 6:30pm in the Mountain Iron Room of the Mountain Iron Community Center. The purpose of the hearing is to seek vacation of the park designation on that part of the Park in South Grove Addition to the City of Mountain Iron.