Meeting Minutes for November 21, 2016
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
November 21, 2016
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:34p.m. with the following Council members present: Joe Prebeg, Jr., Alan Stanaway, Susan Tuomela, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Mike Downs, Director of Public Works; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Sally Yuccas, Librarian Director/Special Events Director and Rod Flannigan, City Engineer. Absent member: Councilor Zupancich.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the November 7, 2016, regular meeting as submitted.
- Approve the minutes of the November 14, 2016, special meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period November 1-15, 2016 totaling $158,702.19 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period November 1-15, 2016, totaling $372,846.36 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried with Councilor Zupancich absent.
- No one spoke during Forum
- Congratulations to Councilor Stanaway and Councilor Prebeg for re-election
- Strip mall in Rock Ridge, welcome to the new tenants of Maurice’s, Great Clips and Famous Footwear
- Hiking/biking trail connecting Downtown Mountain Iron to South Grove completed
- Big thank you to the City Workers for snowing plowing after the storm and restoring power to those who lost power
City Administrator reported on following:
- Update-signs designating well-head protection area, continue to monitor water pumped out of wells, notifying those who have wells and are not on the system on how to protect wells from contamination, continue to be vigilant in protecting and monitoring wells and drinking water
Director of Public Works:
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to authorize staff to purchase ten transformers from Resco for the low quote of $1,230.25 per transformer for the Woodland Estates development. City will be reimbursed in same manner as Unity 2nd Addition and South Forest Grove. The motion carried on roll call vote with Zupancich absent.
Director of Special Events/Library:
- Big thank you to those individuals and committees who helped out with the “2ndAnnual Taste of Mountain Iron”
- Every Tuesday, “Storytime, ”at 10am,
- Every Saturday, Library open 10-2pm
City Engineer report:
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to approve Pay Request No. 2 for Bicycle and Pedestrian Recreation Trail project in the amount of $162,091.49, to Mesabi Bituminous. This amount includes withholding 5% retainage on work completed to date. The motion carried on roll call vote with Zupancich absent.
No recommendation from Personnel Committee for Maintenance position, questions needed to be answered before presenting recommendation.
Councilor Stanaway commented on meeting from RAMS, held Thursday, November 17th, Office of Job Training, “Talent Development Program,” business and public entities would possibly qualify for up to $25,000 training funding on new equipment.
The Council reviewed the list of communications.
At 6:52p.m., it was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to recess the regular meeting and go into combined closed session for Attorney-Client Privilege and performance evaluations for management staff following a brief recess. The motion carried with Zupancich absent..
The Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:55p.m for Mountain Iron City Council Committee of the Whole Meeting.
At 7:10p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Prebeg that the Mountain Iron City Council Committee of the Whole Meeting be adjourned. The motion carried with Zupancich absent.
The Mayor Skalko called the closed City Council meeting to order at 7:19 p.m. to discuss Attorney-Client Privilege and performance evaluations with the following members present: Joe Prebeg, Jr., Susan Tuomela, Alan Stanaway, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Absent member: Tony Zupancich. Also present was: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator and Mike Downs, Director of Public Works.
City Council discussed pending issues regarding former employee during Attorney-Client privilege during closed meeting.
The performance evaluations were discussed along with proposed wage increases for the Director of Public Works, the Library Director/Special Events Coordinator, and the City Administrator.
At 8:00 p.m., it was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to adjourn the closed meeting to discuss performance evaluations and Attorney-Client privilege and open the regular meeting. The motion carried with Zupancich absent.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to approve the settlement agreement presented by the City Attorney, of $5,000 for a full and final universal release with discussed employee. The motion carried with Councilor Zupancich absent.
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Prebeg to approve the following salary increases for the management staff:
Craig J. Wainio 2.5%
Michael Downs 2.5%
Sally Yuccas 2.5%
with the increase being effective on January 1, 2017. Opposed by Tuomela, motion carried with 3:1 vote with Councilor Zupancich absent.
At 8:05p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried with Councilor Zupancich absent.
Municipal Services Secretary