Meeting Minutes for November 17, 2014
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
NOVEMBER 17, 2014
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:32 p.m. with the following members present: Joe Prebeg, Jr., Susan Tuomela, Alan Stanaway, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Absent member included: Tony Zupancich. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Jill M. Clark, Municipal Services Secretary; Rod Flannigan, City Engineer; Bryan Lindsay, City Attorney; and John Backman, Sergeant.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the November 3, 2014, regular meeting as submitted.
- Approve the minutes of the November 10, 2014, special meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period November 1-15, 2014, totaling $154,238.38, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period November 1-15, 2014, totaling $538,202.83, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried on a roll call vote with Zupancich absent.
No one spoke during the public forum.
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Thank you. The Mayor thanked the voters of Mountain Iron for re-electing him as Mayor for 2015. He said it is an honor and privilege to serve the residents of Mountain Iron.
- Thank you. Councilor Sue Tuomela thanked the 691 voters that voted for her.
- Merritt Days Committee. He said that they are looking for additional committee members to serve on the 2015 Committee that would be planning the City’s 125thanniversary celebration. He advised interested residents to contact Sally Yuccas at the Mountain Iron Library if they were interested in serving on the Committee.
- Condolences. To the Family of Donald Murray.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to approve the quote from KLR Construction for the installation of a chain link fence around the new substation located west of Wal-Mart at a cost of $15,800. The motion carried on a roll call vote with Zupancich absent.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to authorize Golder Associates for the Field Oversight and Work Plan Development for the removal of 8-10 unidentified barrels that were discovered during the construction of the new entrance to Minntac at a cost of $8,000. The motion carried on a roll call vote with Zupancich absent.
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Prebeg to set a public hearing for Monday, December 1, 2014 at 6:30 p.m. as part of the grant process through Community Development Block Grant for an application to reconstruct a storm sewer interceptor from Main Street to Agate Street. The motion carried with Zupancich absent.
The Mayor announced that there would be a Committee-of-the-Whole meeting set to follow the regular meeting to discuss the 2015 budgets.
At 6:44 p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried with Zupancich absent.
Jill M. Clark, MMC
Municipal Services Secretary