Meeting Minutes for November 16, 2015
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
NOVEMBER 16, 2015
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. with the following members present: Joe Prebeg, Jr., Tony Zupancich, Alan Stanaway, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Absent member: Susan Tuomela. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Jill M. Clark, Municipal Services Secretary; Michael Downs, Director of Public Works; Rod Flannigan, City Engineer; Sally Yuccas, Librarian Director/Special Events Director; and Bryan Lindsay, City Attorney.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Zupancich that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the November 2, 2015, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period November 1-15, 2015, totaling $391,518.06, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period November 1-15, 2015, totaling $327,666.16, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried on the following roll call vote: Prebeg, yes; Zupancich, yes; Stanaway, yes; Tuomela, absent; and Skalko, yes.
The Mayor reported on the following:
- State Highway 169 Upgrade. The City will be involved on the project for the portion of the highway at the intersection of Enterprise Drive North. The State has approved the Project for 2017.
- County Road 102. The newly relocated road could be open in December, but the County has not yet confirmed anything.
- AT & T Service Center. The new store opened last week.
- Condolences. To the family of Robert Kvas.
- Mountain Iron-Buhl Winter Sports. Good luck to all the students participating in the winter sports.
- Range Recreation Civic Center. There will be a “Curling Day in America” event filmed at the Center from December 2-5, 2015.
The City Administrator reported on the following:
- Bond Refinancing. He said that he was working with Northland Securities for a possible bond refinancing opportunity and if the Council agreed, he would proceed.
- Wellhead Protection Audit. The City of Mountain Iron has passed the audit. He thanked Tim Satrang for his assistance in preparing the audit.
- Sweetwater Project. He said that the City would be meeting with officials this week.
The Director of Public Works reported on the following:
- Recycling Trailer. The new trailer was delivered last week. He said that this is a joint purchase with the City of Eveleth.
- Christmas Decorations. The decorations have been put up.
The Library Director/Special Events Coordinator reported on the following:
- AT & T Store. Impressed with the new store.
- Mountain Iron-Buhl 5th Grade Class. Came to the Library to listen to a poet/song writer
- Continuing Education. Attended a class on customer service and maker space.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Stanaway to adopt Resolution Number 28-15, opposing extension of disastrous trade policies, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried with Tuomela absent.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to authorize Staff to advertise externally for the position of Municipal Services Secretary in the Hometown Focus, Job Service, League of Minnesota Cities and other places as directed by the City Administrator with the City accepting applications until 4:00 p.m. on December 11, 2015. The motion carried with Tuomela absent.
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Zupancich to authorize Staff to post for the Assistant Fire Department Chief and Captain positions in the Mountain Iron Fire Department for three year terms, with applications being accepted until December 1, 2015 at 4:00 p.m. The motion carried with Tuomela absent.
The Council reviewed the list of communications.
At 6:46 p.m., it was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Prebeg to recess the regular meeting and go into closed session for performance evaluations for management staff following a brief recess. The motion carried with Tuomela absent.
The Mayor Skalko called the closed City Council meeting to order at 6:52 p.m. with the following members present: Joe Prebeg, Jr., Tony Zupancich, Alan Stanaway, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Absent member: Susan Tuomela. Also present was: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator.
Performance evaluations were completed for the Director of Public Works, the Library Director/Special Events Coordinator, and the City Administrator, meeting with each individual separately.
At 7:35 p.m., it was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Prebeg to adjourn the closed meeting to discuss performance evaluations and open the regular meeting. The motion carried with Tuomela absent.
At 7:37 p.m., it was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Prebeg to recess the regular meeting and enter into a closed session to discuss misconduct allegations. The motion carried with Tuomela absent.
At 7:52 p.m., it was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Stanaway to adjourn the closed meeting to discuss misconduct allegations and reconvene the regular meeting. The motion carried with Tuomela absent.
At 7:54 p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Zupancich that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried with Tuomela absent.
Jill M. Clark, MMC
Municipal Services Secretary
1. Fairview Clinic, a note from the Patient Crisis Fund Committee.
2. Jenni and Eric Smith, a thank you for the arrangement sent to the funeral of Larry P.