Meeting Minutes for May 19, 2014
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
MAY 19, 2014
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. with the following members present: Joe Prebeg, Jr., Susan Tuomela, Tony Zupancich, Alan Stanaway, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Jill M. Clark, Municipal Services Secretary; Michael Downs, Director of Public Works; Rod Flannigan, City Engineer; and Brian Lindsay, City Attorney.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the May 5, 2014, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period May 1-15, 2014, totaling $215,168.95, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period May 1-15, 2014, totaling $405,947.19, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
No one spoke during the public forum.
The Mayor reported on the following:
- County Road 7. He informed the public that Saint Louis County would be adding speed signage in the West Virginia area.
- Pittsburgh Penguins. Congratulated Matt Niskanen for a great season with the team.
- Mountain Iron-Buhl Honor Graduates. He recognized the following students: Charity Aultman, Kaitlyn Cowlishaw, Hailey Erchul, Kaitlyn Erven, Allie Knuti, Kirsten McConnell, Rachel Niemi, Kaylee Penoncello, Christian Roos, Neil Schroeder, and Kerry Wavernack. He also recognized all the Mountain Iron-Buhl Graduates.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela to set the Labor/Management meeting for Wednesday, June 11, 2014 at 2 p.m. with Mayor Skalko and Councilor Stanaway representing the Council. The motion carried.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Prebeg to award the quotation for the resurfacing of the South Grove Tennis Courts to SurFace Pro at a cost of $10,750. The motion carried unanimously on a roll vote.
The City Administrator reported on the following:
- Street Improvements. The Council would receive the bids on the street improvement projects at the next regular meeting.
- Hiring. He said that the Personal Committee had scored and interviewed several candidates for the two open positions; they are currently conducting skills testing.
- 2013 Audit. Is being prepared and would be presented to the Council soon.
The Public Works Director informed the public that they can discontinue trickling their water effective May 16, 2014.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Zupancich to hire the following employees for the summer temporary positions:
PUBLIC WORKS/UTILITIES LABOR
Megan Christenson Summer Labor
Samatha Silcox Summer Labor
Meghan Skaudis Summer Labor
Brent Brownell Summer Labor
Logan Hultgren Summer Labor
Charlotte Overbye Summer Labor
Alexander Krummi Summer Labor
Benjamin Curry Summer Labor
PARKS & RECREATION COACHES
Laura Peterson T-ball Adult Coach Team 1
Jennifer Tiedeman T-ball Adult Coach
Jill Kinney T-ball Adult Coach Team 2
Elissa Kinney Assistant T-ball Coach
Cody Jones Ponies Adult Coach
Charles Mesia Assistant Ponies Coach
Jeff Tiedeman Minors Adult Coach
Joshua Etter Minors Adult Coach
Eric Drake Major’s Adult Coach
Jordan Bissonette Assistant Majors Coach
Jesse White Girls’ Softball Coach
Ariana Rinell Assistant Softball Coach
Kyle Maki Umpire
PARKS & RECREATION LABOR
Jordan Bissonette Parks & Recreation Labor
Bryce Negen Parks & Recreation Labor
Allie Knuti Library Labor
The motion carried.
The Mayor announced that filings for City Offices open on May 20, 2014 and would continue until June 3, 2014.
At 6:42 p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Jill M. Clark, MMC
Municipal Services Secretary
1. Minnesota Department of Revenue, informing the City of the annual hearing on unmined iron ore assessments set for May 21, 2014 at the Eveleth Public Library.
2. Saint Louis County, forwarding an invitation to the 2nd Annual Summit to end Homelessness, on May 28, 2014, in Duluth.