Meeting Minutes for May 16, 2016
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
May 16, 2016
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:30p.m. with the following Council members present: Susan Tuomela, Alan Stanaway, Tony Zupancich, Joe Prebeg, Jr. and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator Michael Downs, Director of Public Works; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Bryan Lindsay, City Attorney; Sally Yuccas, Librarian Director/Special Events Director; John Backman Sheriff’s Department and Rod Flannigan, City Engineer. Absent:
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the May 2, 2016, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period May 1-15, 2016 totaling $226,476.59 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period May 1-15, 2016, totaling $329,681.45 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried on a roll call vote.
- Congratulations to 27 graduating Seniors from the Mountain Iron-Buhl Class of 2016 and a “Special Congratulations,” to the 15 Honor Students. Graduation will be at Merritt Auditorium, Friday, May 27th at 7pm.
- Congratulation to Matt Niskanen, Mountain Iron-Buhl graduate, and the Washington Capitals for having the best record in National Hockey Association, congratulations on a great year
City Administrator reported on following:
- May 24th, Mountain Iron Community Blood Drive in association with American Red Cross and Mountain Iron Public and Safety Board from 1-6pm, at the Mountain Iron Community Center
- Reminder, the West Two Rivers Campground is now open, complete with its new 18 hole Disc-Golf course. Reservations can be made by calling 735-8831.
- Still availabilities for Coaching positions
The Director of Public Works reported on the following:
- Received three quotes on cable, which is used for underground wire, majority of housing would be used for new housing, from West Virginia addition and Ann’s Acres to Woodland Estates.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela authorizing the City of Mountain Iron staff to order 25,000 feet of electrical wire from Border States for the quote of $47,250.00, with the wire primarily being used to serve Woodland Estates. The motion carried on roll call vote.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Prebeg authorizing the hiring of Gulbranson Excavating to install the electrical service for Woodland Estates for the quote of $16,163.40. The motion carried on roll call vote.
Library Director/Special Events Coordinator report:
- Thursday, May 19th at 6pm Merritt Days meeting at Mountain Iron Library
- Tuesday, May 24th at 10:30am, “Anything you wanted to know about Indians, but were afraid to ask.”
- Monday, June 6th “Read to Win” registrations opens at Mountain Iron Library
- Thanks to Friends of the Library for their generous donations
- No formal or informal report
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Prebeg to approve the hiring of the following on call firefighters; Dave Surla, Jeff Cielocha and Brad Glatch pending a pending a physical, drug testing and a background check. The motion carried unanimously.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Zupancich to approve and authorize the Mountain Iron Fire Department to advertise for more on-call firefighters. The motion carried unanimously.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to adopt Resolution Number 28-16; approving the City of Mountain Iron on behalf of its Prosecuting Attorney and Police Department to enter into a Joint Powers Agreement with the State of Minnesota, Department of Public Safety, Bureau of Criminal Apprehension to use systems and tools available over the State’s criminal justice data communications network for which the City is eligible (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried unanimously.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to hire the following as summer temporary employees:
Public Works/Public Utilities:
Peter Anderson Archie Winans
Logan Hultgren Amber Topka
Tasha Mazzeo Nick Pecha
Parks & Recreation:
Riley Wilson Bryce Negen
Laura Petersen Arin Marks Jesse White
Eric Drake Paul Peterson Casey Kintner
Lindsay Lampi Tatum Primeau Austin Lovaas
Chris Primeau Andrew Dale Ethan Kangas
Raija Sarich Angela Otava
The motion carried unanimously.
The Council reviewed the list of communications.
At 6:52p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the meeting be adjourned. Motion carried with all members present.
Municipal Services Secretary
- Annual hearing on unmined iron ore assessments for the year 2016 will be at 10:00 am, Monday, May 23, 2016 in the U.S. Bank Building, 230 1st Street S, Suite 102, Virginia, MN.
- Mountain Iron Community Blood Drive being held at the Mountain Iron Community Center, Tuesday, May 24th from 1:00-6:00pm