Meeting Minutes for March 20, 2017
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
March 20, 2017
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:p.m. with the following members present: Joe Prebeg, Jr., Alan Stanaway, Susan Tuomela, Steve Skogman, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Tim Satrang, Director of Public Works; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Sally Yuccas, Librarian Director/Special Events Director; Bryan Lindsay, City Attorney; Rod Flannigan, City Engineer.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Skogman that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the March 6, 2017, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period March 1-15, 2017, totaling $264,312.59 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period March 1-15, 2017, totaling $365,148.45 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried on roll call vote.
- No one spoke during forum
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Condolences to the family and friends of Kathy Scinto-Fischer
- Condolences to the family and friends of Paul Stimac
- Condolences to the family and friends of Doris Kochaver
- Congratulations to the MIB Girls basketball team for a great season and taking 2ndplace at the State Championship
- Congratulations to the MIB Boys basketball team for a great season and making it to Section Finals
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Stanaway to appoint Margaret Soyring to serve on the Public Health and Safety Board, with her term expiring on December 31, 2019. The motion carried.
The City Administrator reported on the following:
- City of Mountain Iron website update/redo to make more mobile friendly
- Online West Two Rivers Campground reservations will be coming up soon
Director of Public Works:
- Water line break in South Grove recently- big thanks City Employees for their hard work
- Isolated electrical outage in Parkville on March 7th,
Library Director/Special Events Coordinator:
- Bridge Planning opening committee meeting-March 21st
- Read the book then watch the movie “Me Before You,” March 30th
- Annual Easter Egg Hunt, April 15th at Noon, at the Merritt Elementary School
- No formal report
- No formal report
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to approve Ordinance #01-17; accept recommendation of the Utility Advisory Board, granting a franchise agreement with Minnesota Energy Resources as presented and shall remain in effect for a period of 25 years from effective date (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Prebeg to approve Ordinance #02-17; accept recommendation of the Planning and Zoning Commission for proposed amendment changes to the Zoning Map of the City of Mountain Iron (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to approve the temporary Liquor License for the Soroptimist of Virginia on April 19th at the Cinema 6. The motion carried.
At 6:51p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Skogman that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Municipal Services Secretary
- City of Mountain Iron complaint with the Local Government Pay Equity Act.
- Firearms Safety Class, starting April 4th from 6:00pm -8:00pm at the Mountain Iron Public Library Clubroom. Classes are on :
- April 4th & 6th
- April 11th & 13th
- April 18th & 20th
- Organizational meeting for Historical Society, will be announced in April and be held at the Mountain Iron Community Center in the Mountain Iron room (City Council Chambers).