Meeting Minutes for March 16, 2015
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
MARCH 16, 2015
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. with the following members present: Joe Prebeg, Jr., Susan Tuomela, Tony Zupancich, Alan Stanaway, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Jill M. Clark, Municipal Services Secretary; Michael Downs, Director of Public Works; Rod Flannigan, City Engineer; Sally Yuccas, Librarian Director/Special Events Director; and John Backman, Sergeant.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the March 2, 2015, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period March 1-15, 2015, totaling $226,078.57, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period March 1-15, 2015, totaling $438,749.27, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Development. He informed the Council that the Economic Development Authority (EDA) works year-round with developers. He said that AT&T would be starting construction on their new commercial building in Rock Ridge Development in April. He said that the EDA Executive Director had been meeting with the owners of the AmericInn about some additional development in their area.
- Housing Developments. There are still lots available in South Forest Grove and Unity Second Addition.
- Fire Department and Saint Louis County Sheriffs. He thanked the two entities for their assistance with the large house fire in the Downtown area of Mountain Iron. He also thanked the other eight fire departments for assisting through mutual aid.
- Birthday. Happy belated 90th birthday to Victor Buffetta on March 10, 2015.
- Mountain Iron-Buhl Girls Basketball. Congratulated the MIB Girls team for making it for the fifth year to the State Basketball Tournament.
- Mesabi Daily News Onions. The Mayor said that there are many onions listed in the Mesabi Daily News and he was upset that they attacked an individual council member and did not have the correct information. He said that Councilor Prebeg was not against the contribution to SWOP, but was against the amount contributed.
The City Administrator congratulated the Fourth Grade Basketball Team for making it to the State tournament and placing second in their age group.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela to authorize City Staff to purchase one 75 KVA transformer for a cost of $5,962.00, one 300 KVA transformer for a cost of $8,806.00, and six 25 KVA transformers at a cost of $9,408.00, from Resco Electric Utility Supply Company, with the one 75 KVA being reimbursed back to the City from the A T & T Building Project, with the funds being expended from the 2015 Electric Department Fund. The motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
The Director of Public Works announced that there would be a scheduled power outage by Minnesota Power beginning on Monday, March 16, 2015 at 11:50 pm to Tuesday, March 17, 2015 at 4:00 a.m. in the area from Downtown to Kinross in Mountain Iron.
The Library Director/Special Events Director reported on the following:
- E.A. Cook, Author. He would be at the Library on March 19, 2015 from 5-6 p.m. to sign his books, “Taconite” and “Spanish Moss”.
- Easter Egg Hunt. Scheduled for Saturday, April 4th at noon at the Merritt Elementary School.
- Disc Golf Course. She said that the construction would begin in April or May and she was hoping construction would be completed by mid-May at the West Two Rivers Campground.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Prebeg to adopt Ordinance 03-15, amending Chapter 70 of the Mountain Iron City Code, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to adopt Resolution Number 03-15, in support of the public process to designate waters subject to the MPCA water wild rice quality standard, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Zupancich to adopt Resolution Number 04-15, authorizing the City of Mountain Iron to make application to and accept funds from the IRRRB Grant Program, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela to authorize a contribution of $250 to the Merritt Elementary PTA for the 2nd annual “Kid Fit” event. After further discussion, Zupancich amended the motion and it was seconded by Tuomala to have a letter sent to the cities of Buhl and Kinney requesting that they match Mountain Iron’s contribution. The amended motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
At 6:56 p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Prebeg that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Jill M. Clark, MMC
Municipal Services Secretary
- Mountain Iron-Buhl Merritt PTA, a request for a donation to their April 24th Heart Healthy event.
- Summer Work Outreach Project (SWOP), forwarding a thank you for the contribution.