Meeting Minutes for March 03, 2014
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
MARCH 3, 2014
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:33 p.m. with the following members present: Joe Prebeg, Jr., Susan Tuomela, Tony Zupancich, Alan Stanaway, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Jill M. Clark, Municipal Services Secretary; Michael Downs, Director of Public Works; Rod Flannigan, City Engineer; and Sally Peterangelo, Library Director/Special Events Coordinator.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Add the following item to the agenda:
IV. A. 2. Resolution Number 05-14, Supporting the Polymet Mining Northmet Project
- Approve the minutes of the February 18, 2014, special meeting as submitted.
- Approve the minutes of the February 18, 2014, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period February 16-28, 2014 totaling $557,593.03, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period February 16-28, 2014, totaling $144,044.75, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
No one spoke during the public forum.
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Thank you. He thanked the City Employees for all the snow removal work completed and the repair of water line breaks in severely cold weather. He requested that the public be patient while the City continues to work on clearing snow.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Stanaway to appoint Peggy Anderson to the Mountain Iron Library Board to fulfill the remaining portion of Mildred Babbini’s term which expires on December 31, 2016. The motion carried.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela to adopt Resolution Number 05-14, supporting the PolyMet Mining Northmet Project, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
The Public Work Director reported on the following:
- Thank you. He wanted to personally thank Mike Dundas, Jeff Marks, Rick Coldagelli, Lenny Albrecht, Tyrel Hebl, and Scott Chandler for the work on the broken water line on February 26, 2014. He said that the workers had to work shifts through the night with the extremely cold temperatures.
- Snow Removal. He said that City Staff, along with some rented trucks, are working at removing snow in the different neighborhoods.
The Library Director/Special Events Coordinator reported on the following:
- March 8th. The Annual Mish Mash Mush event will be held at the South Grove Recreation Facility.
- Thank you. She thanked the City Employees for the excellent snow removal on the City streets.
- Library Report. She submitted the February 2014 Library report to the Council.
- Legacy Art Program. She said that “The Yard Bazaar” program for kids would be presented on March 25th.
- Gun Safety Classes. Classes are beginning on Tuesday and Thursdays at the Library.
- Friends of the Library. Are selling library sweatshirts for a fundraiser.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to accept the recommendation of the Personnel Committee and appoint Lenny Albrecht to the position of Lead Parks and Recreation Worker. The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to allow Margie’s Roosevelt Inc. to serve alcohol at the Mountain Iron Community Center on March 29, 2014, for the Salo wedding. The motion carried.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Prebeg to contribute $4,500 to the Calvary Cemetery Association for their 2014 allocation. The motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
During the announcements, Councilor Stanaway reminded residents to assist the City by removing snow from around hydrants.
At 6:47 p.m. it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Zupancich that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Jill M. Clark, MMC
Municipal Services Secretary
- Marlene Kauppinen, a thank you for the contribution to the scholarship fund.
- City of Virginia, forwarding a resolution supporting the PolyMet Minning NorthMet Project.
- City of Mountain Iron, notice of public hearing for the rezoning from Rural Residential to Urban Residential-Non Sewered in Section 27 and 34 (in the Wolf area on Butler Road).
- City of Mountain Iron, notice of public hearing for a Conditional Use Permit for an off-site sign for the Wal-Mart.