Meeting Minutes for June 20, 2016
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
June 20, 2016
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:34 p.m. with the following Council members present: Susan Tuomela, Alan Stanaway, Joe Prebeg, Jr. and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Michael Downs, Director of Public Works; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Sally Yuccas, Librarian Director/Special Events Director; John Backman, Sheriff’s Department and Rod Flannigan, City Engineer. Absent member: Tony Zupancich.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Add the following items to the agenda:
IV. A. 1. Change next meeting to Tuesday, July 5th due to 4th of July Holiday
- Remove the following items from the agenda:
IX. Close meeting for Performance Evaluations.
X. Action on Items Discussed during the Closed Meeting.
- Approve the minutes of the June 6, 2016, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period June 1-15, 2016 totaling $242,472.18 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period June 1-15, 2016, totaling $143,558.11 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried on a roll call vote, with Councilor Zupancich absent.
- Quad City Food Shelf, asking for new location, property and or building for Food Shelf relocation with certain requirements, contact City Administrator.
- Thursday July 21st, at 6pm, SWOP’s 20th Anniversary Dinner
- June 12th Phyllis Yelenich turning 92
- July 4th, Milly Mabbini turning 91
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to move Switch date from Monday, July 4th to Tuesday, July 5th at 6:30pm due to the 4th of July Holiday. Motion carried with Councilor Zupancich absent.
City Administrator reported on following:
- 2015 City of Mountain Iron Audit hopefully available at next meeting,
- Congratulations 5th Grade Basketball team, 3rd in State, thanks to Jeremy Yesch, Head Coach; Dan Zubich and Rick Busch, Assistant Coaches
The Director of Public Works reported on the following:
- Notice of power outages schedule for July 21st, 5:00 a.m. for West Virginia and Parkville areas, work to be done on substation transformers
- Abase meters on AMR systems, have not found one that have not been able to change, still taking appointments to install them
Library Director/Special Events Coordinator report:
Friends of the City of Mountain Iron Public Library requests donation for their “2016 Summer Reading Program,” for the City of Mountain Iron Public Library. It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Prebeg to donate $250.00 out of the Charitable Gambling Fund, for the Summer Reading Program. The motion carried on a roll call vote, with Councilor Zupancich absent.
- Wednesday, June 22nd at 1pm, Wacky Wednesday
- Saturday, June 25th, Merritt days fundraiser, “Singing with the stars,” at Macs Bar
- 4th of July Parade
- Judging starts at 9:15am
- Starts at 9:30 am
- Luke Hecimovich will be Grand Marshall for 4th of July Parade
City Engineer report
- No report, unless there are questions
City Engineer report:
- No formal or informal report
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to accept the recommendation of the Planning and Zoning Commission and approve the Conditional Use Permit to construct an accessory building over 900 sq. ft. and a Variance Permit to construct an accessory building exceeding the allowable height of 15 ft. as required by the Zoning Code to Myron Moe, on the property of 5111 Retriever Drive, Mountain Iron, Parcel Code: 175-0067-00050. The motion carried with Councilor Zupancich absent.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to adopt Resolution Number 30-16; approving the City of Mountain Iron to submit an application and accept funding from the IRRRB Residential Redevelopment Grant Program by for the project removal of two structures located on Mesabi Avenue at 5760 and 5762 Mesabi Avenue (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried with Councilor Zupancich absent.
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Tuomela to adopt Resolution Number 31-16; approving a new Premises Permit for Climb Theatre, which would consist of raffles, paddlewheels, tipboards and pull-tabs at the American Legion Post #220, 5748 Mountain Avenue, Mountain Iron, MN (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried with Councilor Zupancich absent.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to table the request by the City of Mountain Iron staff to post and advertise for a Journeyman Lineman in the Electrical Department. The motion carried with Councilor Zupancich absent.
The Council reviewed the list of communications.
At 6:55p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the meeting be adjourned. Motion carried with Councilor Zupancich absent.
Municipal Services Secretary
- The Harley Owners Group (HOG), Laurentian Chapter #2393 will be hosting The 2016 Minnesota State HOG Rally. Schedule of events and registration starting on Thursday, June 23rd to Saturday, June 25th. The Quad City Motorcycle Rumble On The Range will occur on Saturday, June 25th, approximately 4:30-5:00pm.