Meeting Minutes for June 20, 2011
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
JUNE 20, 2011
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. with the following members present: Joe Prebeg, Jr., Susan Tuomela, Ed Roskoski, Tony Zupancich; and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Jill M. Anderson, Municipal Services Secretary; Don Kleinschmidt, Director of Public Works; John Backman, Sergeant; Sam Aluni, City Attorney; Gary Giroux, City Auditor; and Rod Flannigan, City Engineer (entering at 6:33 p.m.).
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
1. Add the following items to the agenda:
IV. I. Liaison Reports 1. Merritt Days Update
2. Labor/Management Meeting Update
2. Approve the minutes of the June 6, 2011, special meeting as submitted.
3. Approve the minutes of the June 6, 2011, regular meeting as submitted.
4. That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
5. To acknowledge the receipts for the period June 1-15, 2011, totaling $178,753.12, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
6. To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period June 1-15, 2011, totaling $430,768.69, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried on the following roll call vote: Prebeg, yes; Zupancich, yes; Tuomela, yes; Roskoski, no; and Skalko, yes.
The Mayor commented on the following:
– Summer Recreation Program. He commended the Summer Recreation Staff for having a Babe Ruth Baseball Team for youth 13-14 years old. He said that the City has not had a team for approximately 10 years. So he commended the Staff for all the hard work they have completed to building up the program.
– Recognition. Councilor Prebeg wanted to recognize Casey Gilbertson who passed away recently from a tragic boating accident. He acknowledged his family and offered his condolences and sympathy.
It was moved by Roskoski and seconded by Zupancich that at the recommendation of the City Administrator that the City of Mountain Iron does not waive the monetary limits on municipal tort liability established by Minnesota Statutes 466.04, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
The City Administrator commented on the following:
– July 4th Activities. He advised the audience and Council that the activities for the holiday are posted on the City’s web site, www.mtniron.com.
The Council reviewed the May 2011 Sheriff’s Department statistic report.
The City Auditor reviewed the 2010 Audit Report with the City Council.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Roskoski to accept the 2010 Audit Report as presented. The motion carried.
The Council discussed the liquor ordinance violation with the City Attorney. No action was taken and the Council decided to review the information at the second Council meeting in July.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Prebeg to authorize payment request number three to Magney Construction Incorporated in the amount of $37,811.96 for the Wastewater Treatment Facility Aeration System Improvements. The motion carried on the following roll call vote: Zupancich, yes; Tuomela, yes; Roskoski, no; Prebeg, yes; and Skalko, yes.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to authorize change order number two increasing the contract by $11,951.25 for a total contract amount of $129,615.75; and, authorize payment request number two to Mesabi Bituminous Incorporated in the amount of $47,442.28 for the Gravel Access Road Improvement Project. The motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
Councilor Roskoski commended the City Engineer and his firm for completing the West Virginia Drainage Project.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to accept the recommendation of the Utility Advisory Board and adopt Electric Service Agreement with Minnesota Power, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes.). The motion carried unanimously.
The following liaison reports were given:
– Library Board. Councilor Tuomela updated the Council on the May 2011 Library usage.
– Labor/Management Meeting. Councilor Roskoski updated the Council on the discussion during the Labor/Management meeting. He said that various items were discussed, employee suggestion and procedure box, wall clocks for the community center, tables at the Nichols Town Hall, and re-stocking taconite pellets at the Wacootah Overlook. The Mayor also added that he put in a request to U. S. Steel Corporation to cut brush by Locomotive Park.
– Merritt Days Committee. Councilor Roskoski outlined the activities planned for Merritt Days.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Roskoski to adopt Resolution Number 13-11, declaring costs to be assessed, and ordering preparation of proposed assessments for the Old Highway 169 Project, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to adopt Resolution Number 14-11, declaring costs to be assessed, and ordering preparation of proposed assessments for the Mill Avenue Project, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Zupancich to authorize Ebnet Enterprises Inc., dba: Harold’s Bar, to serve alcohol at the Mountain Iron Community Center on July 23, 2011, for a wedding reception. The motion carried.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela to re-schedule the first Council meeting in July to July 5, 2011, at 6:30 p.m. and the second meeting to July 26, 2011, at 6:30 p.m. The motion carried.
At 7:29 p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Jill M. Anderson, CMC
Municipal Services Secretary
1. Mountain Iron-Buhl Class of 2011, a thank you.