Meeting Minutes for June 06, 2016
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
June 6, 2016
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:31p.m with the following Council members present: Susan Tuomela, Alan Stanaway, Joe Prebeg, Jr. and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Michael Downs, Director of Public Works; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Sally Yuccas, Librarian Director/Special Events Director and Rod Flannigan, City Engineer. Absent member: Tony Zupancich
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the May 16, 2016, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period May 16-31, 2016 totaling $157,694.41 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period May 16-31, 2016, totaling $446,072.24 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried on a roll call vote with Zupancich absent.
- Congratulations to Tammy Renzaglia awarded the National Jefferson Award-National Award-work for her work community service. Tammy raised roughly $70,000 for Prostate and Breast cancer.
- Condolences to family of David Vejtasa
- Condolences to family of Joseph Brownell
- Tuesday, June 14th at 2pm-Labor Management Meeting at City Hall
City Administrator reported on following:
- Emergency Service notifications called Nixel-opt in service; residents can receive notifications via text and email. Can sign-up via text, or at a link can be found on the City website
- W2 Rivers Campground open and taking reservations
- Recreation programs starting soon, local games held in South Grove
The Director of Public Works reported on the following:
- Still in process of power upgrade in Unity area, power outages scheduled while transformers changed, notifications will be sent out to those residents which will be affected
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to approve Easement between the City of Mountain Iron, Minnesota Power and RGGs Land and Minerals to provide primary power to Woodland Estates development, estimated cost of $8,500, motion carried on roll call vote with Zupancich absent.
Library Director/Special Events Coordinator report:
- Monday, June 6 “Read for the Win,” Registration begins
- Wednesday, June 8th @ 1pm, Pushing Chain band
- Tuesday, June 14th @ 1pm, Duke Otherwise
- Wednesday, June 15th @ 10:30am, Tres Musdos
- Thanks to the American Legion
City Engineer report:
- Mt. Iron drive will more than likely be finalized in July and Garden Drive will be scheduled to start in July
- Bids opened for Woodland Estates
- Biking and hiking trail scheduled for July
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to approve the proposed Woodland Estates plat development as presented. Motion carried 4-0, with Zupancich absent.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to adopt Resolution Number 29-16; approving the issuance of general obligation improvement refunding bond, series 2016A in the total aggregate principal amount not to exceed $600,000 to execute a bond purchase agreement for the purchase of the Bonds with Northland Securities (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried with Zupancich absent.
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Tuomela to hire the following as summer temporary employees:
The motion carried unanimously with Zupancich absent.
At 6:50p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the meeting be adjourned. Motion carried with Zupancich absent.
Municipal Services Secretary
- Annual hearing on unmined iron ore assessments for the year 2016 will be at 10:00 am, Monday, May 23, 2016 in the U.S. Bank Building, 230 1st Street S, Suite 102, Virginia, MN.
- Mountain Iron Community Blood Drive being held at the Mountain Iron Community Center, Tuesday, May 24th from 1:00-6:00pm