Meeting Minutes for July 21, 2014
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
JULY 21, 2014
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:31 p.m. with the following members present: Joe Prebeg, Jr., Susan Tuomela, Tony Zupancich, Alan Stanaway, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Michael Downs, Director of Public Works; Rod Flannigan, City Engineer; Brian Lindsay, City Attorney; and John Backman, Sergeant.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Add the following item to the agenda:
VI. A. Line Striping on Unity Drive
- Approve the minutes of the July 7, 2014, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period July 1-15, 2014, totaling $958,790.05, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period July 1-15, 2014, totaling $543,202.79, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
No one spoke during the public forum.
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Condolences to the family of Lee Marconett of West Virginia, passed away at the age of 91.
- Condolences to the family of Edith Roskoski of Mountain Iron, passed away at the age of 95
- Congratulations. Happy Birthday to William (Billy) Riccio , who turned 95 on July 19, 2014.
- Thank you to the family of Rocci Norcia for the donation of an antique pool table to the City of Mountain Iron that has been placed in the recreation room at Mountain Manor.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Zupancich to authorize payment request number four to Hibbing Excavating, Inc. in the amount of $133,537.56 for Unity Drive Improvements Project. The motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
Minutes – City council
July 21, 2014
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela to award the project of striping on Unity Drive to Hibbing Excavating for the amount of $13,860.00. The motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote. The Public Works Director pointed out that this project will also include striping on Main Street after the overlay is done.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to authorize the Merritt Day’s Committee request to block Main Street from Marble Avenue to Mesabi Avenue on August 8, 2014 and extend the Mountain Avenue blocking north to Locomotive Street beginning at 7:00 a.m. August 8, 2014 until August 10, 2014 in the morning. The motion carried unanimously.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela to renew the membership in the Coalition of Greater Minnesota Cities and authorize payment of the 2015 dues in the amount of $5,174.00. The motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
It was moved by Prebeg and supported by Tuomela to authorize the Dugout Bar – Gilbert, MN to use their on sale license at the Mountain Iron Community Center to serve and sell alcohol at the wedding reception for Aaron Lind and Nicole Bennett on September 13, 2014. The motion carried unanimously.
At 6:50 p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela to adjourn the meeting. The motion carried.
1. County Commissioner Keith Nelson, an invitation to attend the unveiling of the time capsule from the Virginia Courthouse followed by a tour of the new Motor Pool Building on Tuesday, July 22, 2014 at 10:30 a.m.