Meeting Minutes for July 05, 2016
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
July 5, 2016
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. with the following Council members present: Susan Tuomela, Alan Stanaway, Tony Zupancich, Joe Prebeg, Jr. and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Michael Downs, Director of Public Works; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Joe Leoni, City Attorney; SGT Backman, Sheriff’s Department and Rod Flannigan, City Engineer.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Add the following items to the agenda:
IV. A. 1. Request for County to help with County Rd 103 near Recreation Complex
VI. D. Request to serve alcohol at Community Center
- Approve the minutes of the June 20, 2016, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period June 16-30, 2016 totaling $208,619.67 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period June 16-30, 2016, totaling $262,846.99 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried on a roll call vote.
- No one spoke during forum.
- Condolences to the family of Lorraine Dundas
- Condolences to the family of James “Jim” Jenko
- Condolences to the family of John Shaleen
- Billy Ritchel turning 97 on July 17th
- Thursday, July 14th from 3-7pm, Benefit dinner for Tim Johnston at Community Center
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Stanaway to send a letter to St Louis County, asking for assistance for congestion and parking on County Road 103, near Recreational Complex. Motion carried unanimously.
City Administrator reported on following:
- The 2015 City of Mountain Iron Audit was not received in timely manner for disbursement, possibly be at July 18th meeting
The Director of Public Works reported on the following:
- Power outage on Friday, July 1st was caused from Virginia feed line which was affected by an animal
- Wednesday, July 6th, City Hall/Community Center power outage from 5-8am
- Concrete work for pads, batting cages and pavilion will begin Wednesday, July 6th
- No formal or informal report
City Engineer report
- No report, unless there are questions
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela to allow the City of Mountain Iron to partner with the Economic Development Authority on the patio home development named Woodland Estates located on County Road 7. The partnership would include an investment of $300,000 by the City of Mountain Iron and then would be paid back to the City upon the sale of the lots. The EDA has preliminarily awarded bids for the infrastructure development contingent upon the partnership arrangement. The motion carried unanimously.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Prebeg to approve the request by the City of Mountain Iron staff to post internally for a Journeyman Lineman in the Electrical Department. The motion carried unanimously.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela that the Council appoint the following to serve as election judges for the August 9, 2016, Primary Election and the November 8, 2016, General Election:
Precinct #1-City Hall, Wacootah Room Precinct #2–City Hall, Iroquois Room
Jean Inmon Carolyn Olsen
Sylvia Chad Karen Luoma
Susan Anderson Jackie Jenko
Nancy Wright Joyce Hansen
Julia Buria (Alternate) Stephen Skogman (Alternate)
And further, authorize them to be paid $10.00 per hour for training, absentee processing (if needed), and election hours; as well as provide one hot meal to the election judges on election days. The motion carried unanimously.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Zupancich to authorize the Sundberg Enterprises and Sawmill Saloon to serve alcohol July 9th and July 25th at the Community Center. The motion carried unanimously.
The Council reviewed the list of communications.
At 6:56 p.m., it was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela to recess the regular City Council meeting and go into a closed session to discuss disciplinary measures with an employee, following a brief recess. The motion carried.
At 7:06 p.m., the Mayor called the closed meeting to order with the following members present: Joe Prebeg, Jr., Susan Tuomela, Tony Zupancich, Alan Stanaway, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Mike Downs, Director of Public Works; Local #453 Representative; Tim Satrang; Amanda Metsa, AFSME Representative; Joe Leoni, City Attorney and Brent Henkel, City Employee.
At 7:45 p.m., it was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela that the closed meeting be adjourned and the regular meeting reconvened. The motion carried.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela to terminate the employment of Brent Henkel effective immediately, for his conduct which brought discredit against the City of Mountain Iron. The City of Mountain Iron would be willing to accept resignation from Brent Henkel to avoid termination on his record. The motion carried unanimously.
At 7:49 p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Municipal Services Secretary
- Thank you from Merritt Elementary PTA, for the donation to their 3rd “Annual Kid Fit Carnival.”
- The League of Minnesota Cities wrote to inform that the League Board of Directors voted to increase the League’s 2017 fiscal year dues by 3 percent.