Meeting Minutes for February 21, 2017
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
February 21, 2017
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:32p.m. with the following members present: Joe Prebeg, Jr., Alan Stanaway, Susan Tuomela, Steve Skogman, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Sally Yuccas, Librarian Director/Special Events Director; Alan Johnson, City Engineer; Bryan Lindsay, City Attorney; and John Backman, Sergeant.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the February 6, 2017, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period February 1-15, 2017, totaling $281,494.83 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period February 1-15, 2017, totaling $482,251.38 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried on roll call vote.
- No one spoke during the forum
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Condolences to the family and friends of John Buria, former Mountain Iron resident
- Basketball tournament, good luck to MIB Girls and Boys Basketball
- Hockey tournaments and playoffs, good luck to those individuals playing
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Prebeg to accept the resignation of Mayor Gary Skalko on the Public Health and Safety Board effective February 21, 2017. The motion carried with Mayor Skalko abstaining.
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Prebeg to accept the recommendation of Mayor Skalko to seek applicants to fill the position on the Public Health and Safety Board left by Mayor Skalko’s resignation. Applications will be accepted until Wednesday, March 15th at 4pm. The motion carried.
The City Administrator reported on the following:
- Skating Rinks will be closed until next winter due to warm weather
- West II Rivers Campground:
- Reservations starting March 1st
- Opening Day May 12th
Library Director/Special Events Coordinator:
- Mish Mash Mush will be canceled, events will be added to Easter Egg Hunt
- New Library Hours begin March 1st, Mon-Thurs 10-5pm, Fri-Sat 10-2pm
- No formal or informal report
- Calendar parking until April 1st
- Snow continues to dissipate, calendar parking could end early
- No formal report
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to accept the recommendation of the Parks and Recreation Board and approve the amended policy, regulations and rates for the upcoming camping season as presented for the West II Rivers Campground. The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to accept the recommendation of the Personnel Committee and offer the Director of Public Works position to Mr. Tim Satrang, and approve the employment agreement as presented to the Council. The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to accept the recommendation of the Personnel Committee and authorize internal posting for the position of Lead Water and Wastewater Operator, until Friday, March 3rd at 4pm. If no applicants apply, then to post externally, with applications accepted until Friday, March 24th, at 4pm. The motion carried.
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Tuomela to set 2017 Local Board of Appeal & Equalization meeting, tentatively scheduled by St. Louis County for April 20, 2017 from 6p.m- 7p.m. at the City of Mountain Iron’s Community Center. The motion carried.
Consensus of City Council members is to allow Councilor Skogman to explore the forming of a Historical Society for the City of Mountain Iron.
Merritt Elementary PTA requests donation for 4th Annual “KID Fit” Carnival. It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to donate $250 to the Merritt Elementary PTA’s 4thAnnual “KID Fit” Carnival, monies to come out of the Charitable Gambling Fund. The motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
At 7:09p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Municipal Services Secretary