Meeting Minutes for February 18, 2014
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
FEBRUARY 18, 2014
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:37 p.m. with the following members present: Joe Prebeg, Jr., Susan Tuomela, Tony Zupancich, Alan Stanaway, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Jill M. Clark, Municipal Services Secretary; Michael Downs, Director of Public Works; Rod Flannigan, City Engineer; John Backman, Sergeant; and Brian Lindsay, City Attorney.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Add the following items to the agenda:
IV. A. 3. Temporary Liquor License
4. Donation to the Law Enforcement Scholarship
- Approve the minutes of the February 3, 2014, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period February 1-15, 2014, totaling $177,020.98, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period February 1-15, 2014, totaling $441,959.39, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
No one spoke during the public forum.
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Mountain Iron-Buhl Basketballs. He wished the students at Mountain Iron-Buhl Schools good luck in their playoffs.
- Recognition. He congratulated Matt Niskanen, 2005 Mountain Iron-Buhl Graduate, for his NHL season with the Penguins.
- Fire Hydrants. He reminded residents to remove snow from around hydrants.
- Condolences. To the family of Michael Golden, a Parkville resident.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Stanaway to adopt Resolution Number 04-14, support for raising the state minimum wage, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
The Mayor requested the City Administrator to submit Resolution Number 04-14 to the Legislature.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela to set a Labor Management Meeting for Wednesday, March 12, 2014 at 2:00 p.m. with Mayor Skalko and Councilor Tuomela scheduled to attend. The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to approve the Temporary Liquor License for SI of Virginia for an event they are holding on March 11, 2014, at Cinema 6, 8426 Enterprise Drive South, Mountain Iron pending final approval from the Minnesota Department of Public Safety. The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Zupancich to authorize a contribution of $200 to the John Kauppinen Memorial Law Enforcement Scholarship Foundation with the funds being expended from Charitable Gambling Funds. The motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
The City Administrator informed residents to be patient with the City Staff as they are moving the extreme amount of snow that we have received this winter.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela to award KLM Engineering Incorporated the water storage facility inspections at a cost of $5,600.00. The motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
The Director of Public Works informed residents that have had problems in the past with their water freezing to contact the City to request to trickle their water. Those residents that contact the City Hall will have their water based on the previous year’s usage.
The Sergeant cautioned residents that there are many telephone fraud schemes going on in the area.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Prebeg to adopt Resolution Number 02-14, Ordering Improvement and Preparation of Plans for the street improvement projects, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Zupancich to adopt Resolution Number 03-14, Bank Authorization, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
At 7:09 p.m. it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Jill M. Clark, MMC
Municipal Services Secretary
- Minnesota Department of Revenue, forwarding information on the Board of Appeal and Equalization “Catch-up” training session.
- Saint Louis County, forwarding a public hearing notice for Ordinance 61, Subsurface Sewage Treatment System Regulations.
- Range Mental Health Center, Inc., forwarding a thank you and receipt for the City’s contribution in 2013.
- City of Buhl, forwarding Resolution 14-12, supporting a vote of the citizens of Buhl on the current collocation proposal of ISD 712, ISD 706, and ISD 2154.