Meeting Minutes for February 17, 2015
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
FEBRUARY 17, 2015
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:32 p.m. with the following members present: Joe Prebeg, Jr., Susan Tuomela, Alan Stanaway, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Absent member included: Tony Zupancich. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Jill M. Clark, Municipal Services Secretary; Michael Downs, Director of Public Works; Sally Yuccas, Librarian; John Backman, Sergeant; and Bryan Lindsay, City Attorney.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Add the following item to the agenda:
II. D. Minutes of the February 2, 2015 Meeting
- Approve the minutes of the February 2, 2015, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period February 1-15, 2015, totaling $163,221.28, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period February 1-15, 2015, totaling $431,721.64, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried on the following roll call vote: Prebeg, yes; Stanaway, yes; Tuomela, yes; Skalko, yes; and Zupancich, absent.
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Condolences. To the family of Melvin “Bubs” Anderson.
- Birthdays. Congratulation to Burrell (Schur) Kubacki who turned 100 and to Steve Skogman.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to approve the non-audit services letter to Walker, Giroux, and Hahne, LLC. The motion carried with Zupancich absent.
The City Administrator reported on the following:
- Housing Lots for Sale. He informed the public that there were still several lots available in Unity Second Addition and South Forest Grove Addition.
- Hydrants. He reminded residents to shovel the snow away from the hydrants to keep them accessible for an emergency.
The Director of Public Works reported on the following:
- Water Trickling. He reminded residents to notify City Hall if they decide to trickle their water due to the cold weather.
- Electric and Water Meters. The new AMR electric and water meters would be installed after February 24th in Unity Addition and Unity Second Addition.
The Library Director/Special Events Director reported on the following:
- Merritt Days Committee. She submitted the minutes of the last meeting to the Council. She said that the next meeting was scheduled for Thursday, February 19that 6 p.m. at the Library.
- Mish Mash Mush Festival. Schedule for Saturday, March 7th in South Grove.
- Thank You. She extended a thank you to the Public Works Department for having the sidewalks plowed in Downtown Mountain Iron.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to authorize the Fire Department to purchase approximately $6,000 worth of fire hose from TNT Fire Protection. The motion carried on the following roll call vote: Stanaway, yes; Tuomela, yes; Prebeg, yes; Skalko, yes; and Zupancich, absent.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to authorize a contribution of $100 to the Sax-Zim Bog Birding Center from the Charitable Gambling Fund. The motion carried on the following roll call vote: Tuomela, yes; Prebeg, yes; Stanaway, yes; Skalko, yes; and Zupancich, absent.
At 6:47 p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Prebeg that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried with Zupancich absent.
Jill M. Clark, MMC
Municipal Services Secretary
1. St. Louis County Assessor’s Office, a letter announcing a training session for the Board of Appeal and Equalization and setting a tentative meeting date.
2. PERA, a letter concerning the Statewide Volunteer Firefighter Retirement Plan’s status for 2014.
3. Range Mental Health Center, a letter thanking the City for its’ support.
4. Sax-Zim Bog Birding Center, a letter requesting the City’s sponsorship of needed materials.