Meeting Minutes for December 19, 2016
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
December 19, 2016
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:32p.m. with the following Council members present: Joe Prebeg, Jr., Alan Stanaway, Susan Tuomela, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Mike Downs, Director of Public Works; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Sally Yuccas, Library Director/Special Events Coordinator; Bryan Lindsey, City Attorney; John Backman Sheriff’s Department and Rod Flannigan, City Engineer.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Add the following items to the agenda:
- IV. A. 2. MIB Student Council-donation
- VI. D. D. Rink Attendants
- Approve the minutes of the December 5, 2016, special meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period December 1-15, 2016 totaling $522,241.90 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period December 1-15, 2016, totaling $278,713.31 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried on a roll call vote.
- No one spoke during Forum
- Condolences to the family and friends of Phyllis Yelenich
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela to approve the recommendation and appoint Councilor Al Stanaway to the Economic Development Authority to complete the term of Councilor Zupancich, motion carried with 3:0, with Stanaway abstaining.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to donate $200 to MIB Student Council for four students to attend the Northeast Development Student Council meeting at State Leadership Convention in Rochester, MN, monies to be donated from Charitable Gambling Fund. The motion carried on roll call vote.
City Administrator reported on following:
- Skating rinks open today, shack at South Grove, open evenings and weekends except during severe weather
Director of Public Works:
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to accept the recommendation of the Staff and dispose of (4) 3 Phase transformers which are no longer in service to T&R Electric for the price of $2.50 per KVA. There is (1) 500 KVA, (1) 300 KVA and (2) 225 KVA transformers. The City of Mountain Iron will receive $3,125 for the four transformers. The motion carried.
Library Director/Special Events Coordinator report:
- Friday, December 30th at 1pm, “Paul Bunyan, Loggin: Legend & Lore”
- Adult reading program starts in January and runs through March
- No formal or informal report
City Engineer report:
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Tuomela to approve Pay Request No. 3 for the Woodland Estates Residential Development Phase 1 project in the amount of $77,075.45, to Mesabi Bituminous. This amount includes withholding of 5% retainage on work completed to date. The motion carried on roll call vote.
- No formal report.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to extend an offer to Shannon Roering for the Maintenance position pending a physical, drug testing and a background check. The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to accept the recommendation of the Buildings and Grounds Committee and authorize the purchase of an Advanced SC1500 floor scrubber for use at the Community Center. The State Bid price quote for the new scrubber is $7,227. The motion carried on roll call vote.
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Prebeg to adopt Resolution 51-16, accepting resignation and declaring a vacancy. The Mountain Iron City Council has received written resignation of Anthony Zupancich, effective December 5, 2016, and declares that a vacancy exists on the City Council effective on January 1, 2017 (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to accept the recommendation of Mayor Skalko and seek candidate to fill the remaining term of Councilor Zupancich. Applications will be accepted until 4pm on Friday, January 6, 2017 and must be Mountain Iron resident. Request that applicants attach volunteer and committee work on application, along with number of years. The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to authorize Sundberg Enterprises, LLC, DBA: The Sawmill Saloon and Restaurant to serve alcohol and food at an event scheduled for January 5, 2017 at the Mountain Iron Community Center. The motioned carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to hire the following to work as winter seasonal workers and rink attendants for the 2016/2017 season:
Arin Marks Casey Kitner Maria Stevens
Dylan Leff Christina Klemzeck Connie Murphy
The motion carried.
At 6:53p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Municipal Services Secretary
- Mediacom will be implementing rate adjustments starting on or around January 3, 2017.
- The Minnesota Rural Water Association (MRWA), asks that letters, or e-mails of support for any assistance they have offered over the past few years, thus to show support of their programs to federal legislators during their February 7, 2017 meeting in Washington, D.C.