Meeting Minutes for August 15, 2016
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
August 15, 2016
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:31 p.m. with the following Council members present: Susan Tuomela, Alan Stanaway, Tony Zupancich and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator Michael Downs, Director of Public Works; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Bryan Lindsay, City Attorney; John Backman Sheriff’s Department and Rod Flannigan, City Engineer. Absent: Councilor Joe Prebeg, Jr.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the August 1, 2016, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period August 1-15, 2016 totaling $880,067.46(a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period August 1-15, 2016, totaling $284,584.39 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried on a roll call vote.
- Carol Morland, Director of Chicagmi, looking at consolidating daycare centers at multiple locations into one building at property 8604 Mud Lake, applied for a Conditional Use permit for daycare center to be located in residential area
- Planning and Zoning, working with Chicagmi to purchase property as well as Bryan Lindsey, City Attorney, recommended that purchase agreement is started before any action is taken
- Condolences to the family of Elvin M. Norlander
- Condolences to the family of Joseph “Joe” Frazee and Becky Servinick family
- Happy 90th birthday to Merrian Edstrom Sutich on August 14th
- Happy 86th birthday to Gladys Kujala on September 4th
- Good luck to Rod Flannigan at State Barrel racing event in Verndale, MN
City Administrator reported on following:
- Next meeting, scheduling of preliminary levy and hearing dates for budget
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela to authorize Amanda Inmon’s probation to expire and allow her to become a permanent employee effective July 11, 2016. The motion carried with Councilor Prebeg absent.
The Director of Public Works reported on the following:
- All but one Summer Employee are gone for the season
- Slabs have been poured and leveled for Batting Cages and Pavilion, since Merritt Days is over, construction will begin
City Attorney’s report:
- Nothing to report
City Engineer report:
- South Garden Drive milling and curb removal scheduled to begin August 16th
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela to accept the recommendation of the Buildings and Grounds Committee to increase the fee for kitchen rental use by $25, due to recent kitchen upgrades. The increase would take effect immediately and would only be applicable for bookings made from this point forward, with current reservations not being affected. The motion carried with Councilor Prebeg absent.
- Councilor Zupancich stated that the EDA is working on Housing Development, starting to set bylaws and final price of the lots, next meeting August 24th, expected to have these, recommendation will be that lots will be just under $25,000 a piece
- Included in lot price which are ½ acre lot at minimum with some being bigger, includes City water and sewer along with paved streets and curbs, natural gas hookups, snow removal and street care
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Tuomela to approve Resolution # 32-16; approving the City of Mountain Iron on behalf of its City Attorney’s Office and Police Department to enter into Master Subscriber Agreements with the State of Minnesota, Office of State Court Administration, for access to the new Minnesota Government Access (MGA) system for which the City is eligible. The Master Subscriber Agreements provide the City Attorney’s Office and Police Department with access to appropriate electronic court records and documents stored in the Minnesota Court Information System for cases in Minnesota district courts. The motion carried with Councilor Prebeg absent.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela to approve Resolution #33-16; authorizing the City of Mountain Iron to enter and participate in the Minnesota Municipal Utilities Association’s Mutual Aid Assistance program, to receive assistance from FEMA in case of natural disaster. This program was developed to encourage and foster mutual aid between and with other cities which own and operate utility systems and other publicly owned utility organizations, in the event of disasters and emergencies. The motion carried with Councilor Prebeg absent.
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Tuomela to authorizing the City of Mountain Iron’s Fire Department to advertise for Firefighters and First Responders. The motion carried with Councilor Prebeg absent.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela to allow BG’s Bar & Grill to serve alcohol/liqueur beverages at the Community Center on September 30th for Range Mental Health’s Project Warmth and September 17th for the Dale Schroder Wedding. The motion carried with Councilor Prebeg absent.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela to reschedule the first meeting in September for Wednesday 7, 2016 due to the Labor Day weekend. The motion carried with Councilor Prebeg absent.
The Council reviewed the list of communications.
Councilor Stanaway asked if it was possible for the Chairs of all the Boards & Committees as well as the Lead Employee of each Department meet as far as their “wants and needs” and how they are “sitting” in their department. Councilor Zupancich asked if the City Administrator could develop recommendations for discussion dates for next meeting
At 6:56p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried with Councilor Prebeg absent.
Municipal Services Secretary
- Mediacom will be adjusting the monthly rental pricing for digital transport adapters (DTA) effective September 1, 2016, with an increase of roughly $1.00. Additionally Mediacom will be combining its high-speed internet modem and EMTA phone adapter equipment charges into a single data and phone modem charge, starting September 1, 2016.
- The Coalition of Greater Minnesota elected new President for upcoming year, Sara Carlson, Mayor of Alexandria; along with information, accomplishments and pitfalls during their attendance at a 10-week legislative session.