Meeting Minutes for April 21, 2014
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
APRIL 21, 2014
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:31 p.m. with the following members present: Joe Prebeg, Jr., Susan Tuomela, Tony Zupancich, Alan Stanaway, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Jill M. Clark, Municipal Services Secretary; Michael Downs, Director of Public Works; Rod Flannigan, City Engineer; John Backman, Sergeant; and Brian Lindsay, City Attorney.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the April 7, 2014, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period April 1-15, 2014 totaling $255,984.00, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period April 1-15, 2014, totaling $471,250.25, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
No one spoke during the public forum. The Mountain Iron-Buhl Archery Team was not present.
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Condolences. Lorraine Nelson, longtime Parkville Resident, passed away at the age of 92. He offered condolences to the family.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Prebeg that the liquor license application for the period April 21, 2014 through December 31, 2014 be approved an issued to the following individual and business establishment pursuant to the approval, where necessary, of the Liquor Control Commission and pursuant to the payment of all outstanding license fee and utility charges:
Scott A. Uttley, Director of Operations 3.2 Malt Liquor, Off-Sale
Home on the Range, LLC
dba: Holiday Inn Express Suites Mountain Iron
8570 Rock Ridge Drive
Mountain Iron MN 55768
The motion carried.
The Public Works Director informed the Council that residents should continue to trickle their water for at least another week, as the frost is still seven to eight feet down in areas.
The City Engineer updated the Council on the County Road 102 project and the South Grove overlay project.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to adopt Resolution Number 09-14, authorizing the City of Mountain Iron to make application to and accept funds from the IRRRB Comprehensive Plan Grant Program, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela to adopt Resolution Number 10-14, opposing the Minnesota Department of Transportation Plan to development of an intersection of State Trunk Highway 53 and 135 that would provide a lesser level of service than the existing interchange, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried with Prebeg voting no.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela to authorize City Staff to proceed to purchase an Emergency Vehicle Pre Emption System for the intersection of Rock Ridge Drive and Highway 169 at a cost of $9,505.90. The motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
The Council reviewed the communications.
The Mayor announced the following items:
- Local Board of Appeal & Equalization Meeting – April 22, 2014 from 6:30-7:30 p.m.
- Filings for Mayor and Council open May 20, 2014 through June 3, 2014
At 6:54 p.m. it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Prebeg that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Jill M. Clark, MMC
Municipal Services Secretary
1. Saint Louis County, announcing household hazardous waste collections in the area.