Meeting Minutes for April 18, 2011
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
APRIL 18, 2011
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. with the following members present: Joe Prebeg, Jr., Tony Zupancich, Susan Tuomela, Ed Roskoski, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Jill M. Anderson, Municipal Services Secretary; Don Kleinschmidt, Director of Public Works; and Rod Flannigan, City Engineer.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Zupancich that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
1. Approve the minutes of the April 4, 2011, regular meeting as submitted.
2. That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
3. To acknowledge the receipts for the period April 1-15, 2011, totaling $171,793.83, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
4. To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period April 1-15, 2011, totaling $496,922.13, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
The Mayor commented on the following items:
– Recognition. Councilor Prebeg recognized Chelsey Trucano for winning and setting a new State and American record in the Women’s Junior 165 Pound Division with a lift of 198 pounds and Blake Johnson for setting a new record in the Teen 148 pound division with a lift of 253 pounds, at the USA Power Lifting Championship.
The Administrator commented on the following:
– Federal Grant Award. He advised the Council that the City was awarded a federal grant of $275,000 for the bicycle/pedestrian connection between the Mountain Iron High School and South Grove. The project will be completed in 2015. He said that the City’s contribution to this project would be ten percent.
– Agenda Items. Councilor Roskoski requested that when the City agenda is being prepared that the item titles be expanded for posting on the Public Television access.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to authorize payment request number one for the Wastewater Treatment Facility, Aeration System Improvements, in the amount of $136,213.81 to Magney Construction Incorporated. The motion carried on the following roll call vote: Zupancich, yes; Tuomela, yes; Roskoski, no; Prebeg, yes; and Skalko, yes.
It was moved by Roskoski and seconded by Tuomela to accept the recommendation of the Fire Department and appoint Danny Zupancich to serve as a Mountain Iron Frist Responder pending any background checks that are required to be completed. The motion carried with Zupancich abstaining.
It was moved by Prebeg to approve the Mountain Iron Fire Department to continue to work on the Agreement for the Automatic Mutual Aid Agreement with the Virginia Fire Department. After further discussion, Councilor Prebeg withdrew his motion.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Zupancich to direct the Public Safety and Health Board to review the Automatic Mutual Aid Agreement with the Virginia Fire Department and make a recommendation to the Council. The motion carried.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela to accept the recommendation of the Streets and Alleys Committee and call for quotes for crack sealing in the amount of $25,000. The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to adopt the building rental policy as submitted, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). It was moved by Roskoski to amend the motion to allow the City to waive fees for local Mountain Iron specific youth related activities at the Community Center or other public facilities under control of the City; then the City would supplement the building maintenance budget by transferring from the Charitable Gambling Account, when needed. The amendment to the motion failed for lack of a second. The motion carried with Roskoski voting no.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Prebeg to adopt Resolution Number 06-11, ordering the preparation of report on improvement, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to adopt Resolution Number 07-11, business development infrastructure application, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried with Roskoski voting no.
The Council reviewed the communication received from the United States Army Corps of Engineers regarding a public notice for U. S. Steel Corporation to discharge fill material into approximately 75.8 acres of wetlands in Mountain Iron.
The Mayor announced that the Board of Review meeting would be held on Tuesday, April 26, 2011, beginning at 6:30 p.m.
At 7:14 p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Roskoski that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Jill M. Anderson, CMC
Municipal Services Secretary
1. U. S. Army Corps of Engineers, a public notice for U. S. Steel Corporation to discharge fill material into approximately 75.8 acres of wetlands in Mountain Iron.