Meeting Minutes for April 17, 2017
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
April 17, 2017
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:33p.m. with the following members present: Joe Prebeg, Jr., Alan Stanaway, Susan Tuomela, Steve Skogman, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Tim Satrang, Director of Public Works; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Sally Yuccas, Librarian Director/Special Events Director; SGT John Backman, Sherriff’s Department.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the April 3, 2017, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period April 1-15, 2017, totaling $465,878.47 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period April 1-15, 2017, totaling $339,356.83 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- No one spoke during forum
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Condolences to the family and friends of Pat Krall
- Condolences to the family and friends of Doug Rossi
- Happy Belated Birthday to Vick Buffetta turned 92 on March 10th
- Congratulations and good luck to Matt Niskanen and team the Washington Capitals, top team for regular season and currently playing in the 1st round of the Playoffs
- Congratulations to Jeff Buffetta on being inducted into the Minnesota Girls Basketball Coaches Association Hall of Fame
The City Administrator reported on the following:
- No formal report
Director of Public Works:
- Street-sweepers out, PLEASE be cautious of workers
- List being compiled at City Hall for lawn repair damaged during winter months
- Large trash during 1st part of June
Library Director/Special Events Coordinator:
- Thank you to all of those that helped and participated in the Easter Egg Hunt
- No formal report
- No formal report
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Prebeg to accept the recommendation of the Planning and Zoning Commission Board and approve the Variance application for the Habitat for Humanity, for a reduction in the required 25ft setback to 15ft setback on Flint Street. The property is legally described as Lot 0013, Block 003, 5700 Mineral Ave, Parcel Cole: 175-0020-00400. The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to extend an offer to Gerry Knapper for the Laborer position pending physical, drug test and background check. The motion carried.
- Councilor Tuomela stated that the Woodland Estates held an open house on Tuesday, April 11th at the Mountain Iron Community Center from 4:00-6:00pm
- good turn out with quite a few people attending
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Skogman to accept the recommendation of the Parks and Recreation Board and dedicate the western most ballfield at the Mountain Iron Recreation Complex as the “Larry Nanti Field,” and to erect the proper signage indicating as such. The motion carried.
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Prebeg to approve Resolution #09-17; Authorizing the sale of certain property, with all legal requirements met, the property located behind the Residents located on the north side of Garden Drive North can be sold as presented. It is recommended that the lots’ purchase price be $750 and may only be purchased by the land owner directly south of each lot (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Skogman to approve Resolution #10-17; Accepting work which was completed in 2016 for the Garden Drive project, between Arbor Lane and Fairview Lane (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to approve Resolution #11-17; Declaring the cost of the Garden Drive South Project to be assessed, and Ordering Preparation of Proposed Assessment. Once the assessment role is completed it will be completed to the City Council and a Public Hearing will be scheduled on the proposed assessment (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to authorize Sundberg Enterprises, LLC dba The Sawmill Saloon and Restaurant to serve alcohol at an event scheduled for July 15, 2017 at the Mountain Iron Community Center. The motion carried.
At 6:59p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Skogman that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Municipal Services Secretary
- Thank you from Mesabi Family YMCA for the support in the “2017 Mesabi Family YMCA Dinner & Auction Fundraiser”
- Saturday, April 29th at 3:00pm, “Rigatoni Benefit Dinner for Marcia Gellerstedt,” at the Mountain Iron Community Center
- Board of Review April 17th from 6:00-7:00pm, St. Louis County representatives present to answer questions for residents who have concerns regarding the value of their property