Meeting Minutes for April 04, 2011
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
APRIL 4, 2011
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:32 p.m. with the following members present: Joe Prebeg, Jr., Tony Zupancich, Susan Tuomela, Ed Roskoski, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Jill M. Anderson, Municipal Services Secretary; Don Kleinschmidt, Director of Public Works; John Backman, Sergeant; and Rod Flannigan, City Engineer.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
1. Approve the minutes of the March 21, 2011, regular meeting with the following correction: Page 1, paragraph 1, remove “Joe Prebeg, Jr.” from the present list.
2. That the communications be accepted, placed on file, and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
3. To acknowledge the receipts for the period March 16-31, 2011, totaling $249,291.27, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
4. To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period March 16-31, 2011, totaling $173,432.74, (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried on the following roll call vote: Prebeg, yes; Zupancich, yes; Tuomela, yes; Roskoski, no; and Skalko, yes.
The Mayor commented on the following items:
– Maintenance Personnel. He said that the City has now hired two new employees to fill the maintenance positions.
– Property Taxes. He said that residents should have received their 2011 payable tax statements. He compared his own tax statements from previous years. He advised residents to contact St. Louis County Auditor’s Office at 1-800-450-977, extension 2383, for information on their taxes.
– Summer Workers. Councilor Roskoski requested to add Summer Workers under new business on the agenda. The Mayor advised Councilor Roskoski that items should be added at the beginning of the meeting with the consent agenda, but he would allow it this time.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Zupancich to adopt Resolution Number 05-11, Douglas J. Johnson Economic Protection Trust Fund, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes), and forward a copy to the House of Representatives and the Senate. The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to award the quotes for the Phase II Environmental Assessments to Braun Intertec for their quoted price of $8,500 for the Mountain Iron Site and $9,400 for the Parkville Site and award the quote for the laboratory work to Pace Analytical for their quoted price of $588 per monitoring well and $1,033 per boring. The motion carried.
The Administrator commented on the following:
– Housing Lots. He reminded residents that the City still have lots available for sale in Unity Second Addition and South Forest Grove Addition. Information on the lots is available on the City’s web site, www.mtniron.com or by calling the City Hall.
It was moved by Zupancich and seconded by Tuomela to accept the recommendation of the Utility Advisory Board and authorize the Large Trash Pickup scheduled for May 31, 2011 through June 10, 2011, at a cost of $10.00 per residential property. The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Zupancich to authorize a Volunteer Recognition Dinner to be set for Tuesday May 10, 2011, to be held at the Mountain Iron Community Center. It was moved by Roskoski to amend the motion to contact the City Attorney and seek a written legal opinion regarding the legality of holding a volunteer dinner and if he states that it is legal to conduct, that the volunteer dinner be planned. The amendment to the motion failed for lack of a second. The motion carried with Roskoski abstaining.
The Council reviewed the Sheriff’s Department report. Councilor Roskoski questioned the Sergeant about the $75 in parking fines. The Sheriff said that he would review the information and report back to the Council at the next meeting.
During the Liaison Reports, the following reports/questions were presented:
– Library Board. Councilor Tuomela reviewed the Library statistics for the month of March, 2011.
– Personnel Committee. Councilor Roskoski questioned when the Council was going to meet to discuss negotiations with AFSCME. Councilor Prebeg said there is nothing scheduled at this time, but a letter was sent to the Union to open negotiations.
It was moved by Roskoski and seconded by Skalko to advertise for summer employees through Hometown Focus, public television, and on the City’s web site. The motion carried.
The Council reviewed the list of communications.
The Mayor announced that the Board of Review meeting would be held on Tuesday, April 26, 2011, from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. He also thanked Councilor Tuomela for attending the class to get certified by Saint Louis County to allow the City to keep the meeting locally.
At 7:08 p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Zupancich that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Jill M. Anderson, CMC
Municipal Services Secretary
1. Mediacom, a letter of information about adding more High Definition channels.
2. Mediacom, a letter of information about changes in their pricing and a change for Fox Reality to become National Geographic WILD.
3. Mountain Iron Planning and Zoning Commission, a notice of a public hearing to consider a request for a Conditional Use Permit from Len Roskoski.