Meeting Minutes for April 03, 2017
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
April 03, 2017
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:32p.m. with the following members present: Alan Stanaway, Susan Tuomela, Steve Skogman, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Tim Satrang, Director of Public Works; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Sally Yuccas, Librarian Director/Special Events Director; Rod Flannigan, City Engineer. Absent members: Joe Prebeg, Jr.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Skogman that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Remove the following items from the agenda:
IX. G. 2. Mountain Iron Recreation Complex Baseball Field Dedication
- Approve the minutes of the March 20, 2017, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period March 16-31, 2017, totaling $281,800.04 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period March 16-31, 2017, totaling $239,269.45 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried on roll call vote, with Councilor Prebeg absent.
- No one spoke during forum
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Condolences to the family and friends of Dan McDonald
- Condolences to the family and friends of Charlene Fredrickson
- Congratulations to the Northwood Boys Basketball team, finished 2nd in State in Class A Boys Basketball
- Thanks to Pete Zattoni and Steve Skogman for representing the City of Mountain Iron in the cities at a Public Hearing to seek help funding the Road projects starting in the summer
The City Administrator reported on the following:
- Summer Recreation Program sign-up sheets going around schools
- Various levels of Baseball
- Various levels of Softball
- Possible tennis (depending on number of participants)
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Tuomela to approve the Administrative Services Agreement as presented, defining the role of the City and that the that Tri-Cities Biosolids Disposal Authorities employees are in no way employees of the City (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried with Councilor Prebeg absent.
Director of Public Works:
- PLEASE be cautious of workers
- repairing several pot-holes throughout the City
- street-sweepers out throughout the City
- Small power related outage recently in the Parkville area
Library Director/Special Events Coordinator:
- Tuesday, April 18th at 10:30am, “Minnesota Woodcut,” at the Mountain Iron Public Library
- Saturday, April 15th at Noon, “Annual Easter Egg Hunt,” at the Merritt Elementary School
- Special thanks to those Nurses from the Hibbing Community College on helping out with the Easter Egg Hunt
- No formal report,
- Calendar parking officially over April 1st
- No formal report
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Tuomela to accept the recommendation of the Parks and Recreation Board authorizing Staff to advertise for temporary seasonal employees and seasonal coaches for the summer months. Once a list of potential employees is developed, it will be forwarded to the City Council for final approval. Applications will be accepted until Friday, May 5th at 4pm. The motion carried with Councilor Prebeg absent.
- Seasonal Summer Employees
- Must be 18 years of age or older to apply
- Seasonal Summer Coaches
- Adult Coaches-19 years of age or older to apply
- Assistant Coaches- 16 years of age or older to apply
- Umpires-16 years of age or older to apply (wage is per game)
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Skogman to accept the recommendation of the Public Health and Safety Board and appoint the following as Fire Department Officers:
- Assistant Fire Chief: Ryan Pontien Expiring term: December 31, 2018
- Captain, Training: Deven Rowe Expiring term: December 31, 2019
- Captain, Safety: Dan Ronchetti Expiring term: December 31, 2017
The motion carried with Councilor Prebeg absent.
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Tuomela to approve Ordinance #03-17; Management of All-Terrain vehicles within the Public Right-of-way of Roads under the City of Mountain Iron’s Jurisdiction, mirroring the St. Louis County ATV Ordinance helping to ease with enforcement (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried with Councilor Prebeg absent.
At 6:54p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Skogman that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Municipal Services Secretary
- St. Louis County Local Board of Review & Appeals, Thursday, April 20th from 6:00-7:00pm at the Mountain Iron Community Center.