Meeting Minutes for 07-17-17
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
July 17, 2017
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:33p.m. with the following members present: Joe Prebeg, Jr., Alan Stanaway, Steve Skogman, Susan Tuomela, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Tim Satrang, Director of Public Works; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Sally Yuccas, Librarian Director/Special Events Director; Rod Flannigan, City Engineer and Scott Neff, City Attorney Representative.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Skogman that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Add the following items to the agenda:
- A. 1. Donation to Fairview Golf Scramble
- Approve the minutes of the July 5, 2017, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period July 1-15, 2017, totaling $980,057.95 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period July 1-15, 2017, totaling $329,530.97 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried.
- No one spoke during forum
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Happy birthday to Bill Riccio turned 98 on July 17th
- Happy early birthday to Elma Riccio turning 92 on July 30th
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to authorize a $200 hole sponsorship for the Fairview Range Medical Center charity golf event on Friday, September 15th at the Virginia Golf Course, with the funds being expended from the Charitable Gambling Fund. The motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote.
The City Administrator reported on the following:
- Nothing to report at this time
Director of Public Works:
- Shouldering work being completed on roads throughout Unity Drive as well as in Parkville
- Dust control implemented throughout after July 5th meeting
Library Director/Special Events Coordinator:
- Summer Library hours, Monday-Friday 10-5pm, closed on Saturdays
- July 19th at 1:00pm, “Tie Dying-Bahama Mama Party with Barbecue,” bring white t-shirt to tie-dye, partnering with American Legion
- July 25th at 11:00am, “Preschool Story time,” at the Mountain Iron Library
- August 6th, “Family Fun Day,” at West Two Rivers Campground
- Activities throughout the week held Downtown Mountain Iron
- August 12th, Merritt Days headlining band, “Vertical Horizon”
- Merritt Days Committee meeting weekly
- No formal report
- No formal report
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Skogman approve the plans and specifications then to advertise for bids for the Nichols Pond Decommissioning Project, No. MI15-05. The project will be advertised for 21 days, and a tentative bid opening would be set during the week of August 14. Bids could be considered at a council meeting in August, with plans being sent to the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency. The motion carried.
Walker, Giroux, & Hahne, LLC. Representative Bill Paulson discussed the City of Mountain Iron’s 2016 Audit and recommendations.
The council reviewed the list of communications.
Councilor Skogman announced on Tuesday, July 25th at 3pm at the Field of Dreams Park in Virginia, a rally and united march will be held to support Mining which is and has been the way of life for Iron Range residents.
At 7:10p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Municipal Services Secretary
- Thank you from the Mountain Iron-Buhl Class of 2017, for the generous donation to the “2017 MIB Chemical Free All Night Grad Party.”