May 20, 2019 City Council Minutes
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
May 20, 2019
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:32pm. with the following members present: Councilor Joe Prebeg Jr., Alan Stanaway, Steve Skogman, Julie Buria, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Tim Satrang, Director of Public Works; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Al Johnson, City Engineer; Bryan Lindsay, City Attorney; and SGT John Backman, Sheriff’s Department.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Buria that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Add the following items to the agenda:
- B. Letter of resignation
- Approve the minutes of the May 6, 2019, Local Board of Appeals and Equalization as submitted.
- Approve the minutes of the May 6, 2019, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period May 1-15, totaling $206,752.61 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period May 1-15, totaling $473,392.45 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried unanimously.
- No one spoke during the public forum
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Condolences to the family and friends of Gladys Winans
- Happy Birthday to Claudia Skalko turned 70 on May 20th
- Happy Birthday to Tim Satrang celebrating birthday on May 21st
- Received notice from St. Louis County that roadwork will start on County Rd 103 (Mud Lake Rd)
- IRRRB hopefully approve $350,000 Grant at June 7th meeting to complete Mountain Iron Drive
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Skogman to hire the following as summer temporary employees:
Coaches: Public Works:
Champagne Schallert Mary Burke
Beau Tapio Caden Renzaglia Alex Benkusky
The motion carried.
Director of Public Works:
- Any damage from Snow plows over the Winter Season, contact City Hall to be put on list for repair
- City of Mountain Iron Offices and Library will be closed on Monday, May 27, 2019 for Memorial Day Holiday
- NO garbage pickup on Monday, May 27th in observance of the Memorial Day Holiday, Monday’s garbage collection will be picked up with the normal Tuesday trash collection
- No formal report
- No formal report
- Be aware and respect Road Construction signs
- No formal report
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Stanaway to accept the recommendation of the Public Health and Safety Board and update the Mountain Iron Fire Department Fitness Reimbursement Policy, Number 2016-04, Adopted November 7, 2016. The motion carried.
It was approved by Prebeg and seconded by Buria to authorize Staff to seek quotes to repair the waterline leak at the Northeast corner of Highway 7 and Unity Drive. This repair would be part of a larger project to replace 150 feet of pipe to prevent future leaks on this main. The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Skogman to accept the letter of retirement from Scott Chandler from the position as an Equipment Operator, with an effective date of June 1, 2019. The motion carried.
At 6:53pm., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Buria that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Municipal Services Secretary
- Thank you from the Mesabi Family YMCA for the donation and support for the “2019 Mesabi Family YMCA Dinner & Auction Fundraiser.”
- The annual hearing on unmined iron ore assessments for the 2019 year will be Tuesday, May 21, 2019 in the U.S. Bank Building at 10:00am.
- Louis County Environmental Services Department’s 2019 Area B-CLEAN Business Hazardous Waste Collection Dates, Virginia Regional Landfill (HHW Building) August 14th by appointment. (218)741-8831