March 2, 2020 City Council Minutes
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
March 2, 2020
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:30p.m. with the following members present: Councilor Joe Prebeg Jr.; Alan Stanaway, Julie Buria, Steve Skogman, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig Wainio, City Administrator; Tim Satrang, Director of Public Works; Anna Amundson, Library Director/Special Events Coordinator; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; and Al Johnson, City Engineer.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Buria that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Add the following items to the agenda:
- I. Authorization to Serve Liquor
- Approve the minutes of the February 18, 2020, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period February 16-29, totaling $565,983.58 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period February 16-29, totaling $257,023.76 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried.
- No one spoke during the forum
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Condolences to the family and friends of Marion Sutich
- Happy birthday to Helen Deminuck turning 91 years old on March 8th
- Happy Birthday to Marge Satrang turning 85 years old March 8th
- Happy birthday to Lucille Fiola turning 92 years old on March 13th
- Presidential Primary Elections on March 3rd
Director of Public Works:
- Power outage on March 1st, caused by feed from Minnesota Power
- Power was out for a little over an hour
- CIPP pipeline being starting tomorrow March 3rd – preliminary phase
Library Director/Special Events Coordinator:
- Winter reading program ending on Friday, February 28th
- Saturday, April 11th at 12:00noon sharp “35th Annual Easter Egg Hunt, Saturday”
- Calendar parking still in effect through April
- No formal report
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Skogman to accept the recommendation from the Utility Advisory Board to authorize an electric rate adjustment, for both residential and commercial to the rates as presented, starting April 1st. Electric rates have not changed in 10 years. The motion carried unanimously.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to accept the recommendation of the Utility Advisory Board and approve the large trash pick-up for City of Mountain Iron residents with garbage service fee of $10.00, tentatively scheduled for the first couple of weeks of June 2020. Complete form and payment must be turned in and paid for by June 5th by 4pm, with utility bill current. The motion carried.
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Prebeg to authorize Sundberg Enterprises, LLC, DBA: Sawmill Saloon & Restaurant to serve alcohol at the Edwards Oil Meeting, scheduled for April 15, 2020 at the Mountain Iron Community Center. The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to authorize Sundberg Enterprises, LLC, DBA: Sawmill Saloon & Restaurant to serve alcohol at the Laurentian Chamber of Commerce Annual Dinner, scheduled for April 3, 2020 at the Mountain Iron Community Center. The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Skogman to donate $100 to the Mountain Iron-Buhl PTA’s “7th Annual Kidfit Carnival,” to be held on April 17th, monies to come from the Charitable Gambling Fund. The motion carried on roll call vote.
At 6:52p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Buria that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Municipal Services Secretary
- Local Board of Appeals and Equalization (LBAE) scheduled for May 12, 2020 from 5:00pm to 6:00pm at the Mountain Iron City Hall