June 21, 2021 City Council Minutes
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
June 21, 2021
Mayor Anderson called the City Council meeting to order at 6:30p.m. with the following members present: Councilor Joe Prebeg Jr., Ed Roskoski, and Mayor Peggy Anderson. Also present were: Craig Wainio, City Administrator; Tim Satrang, Director of Public Works; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Anna Amundson, Library Director/Special Events Coordinator; Al Johnson, City Engineer; Kevin Friebe, Sheriff’s Department and Bryan Lindsay, City Attorney. Absent members: Councilor Steve Skogman and Councilor Julie Buria.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Roskoski that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the June 07, 2021, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period June 1-15, totaling $264,594.23 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes),
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period June 1-15, totaling $556,103.49 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried with Councilor Skogman and Councilor Buria absent.
- No one spoke during the public forum
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Congratulations and best wishes to all of the Mountain Iron-Buhl 2021 graduates
- Fire at Nichols Town Hall roughly 10 days ago, fire still under investigation
- State Fire Marshall and Insurance Agency have been on site, in addition to City Crews and Service Master
Director of Public Works:
- Large Trash pickup, June 21st – July 2nd
- Next month, curbside recycling will start again
- Power outage recently
- Patching holes throughout town
It was moved by Roskoski and seconded by Anderson to hire the following as summer temporary employees, Paris Pontinen and Cody Maki for the Public Works/Public Utilities Department. The motion carried with Councilor Skogman and Councilor Buria absent.
Library Director/Special Events Coordinator:
- “Meet Up & Chow Down,” sponsored by United Way of Northeastern MN
- Monday, June 7th – Thursday, September 3rd
- Pickup 12:00pm – 1:00pm
- Free to all Youth (ages 1-18)
- Summer Reading program
- Monday, June 7th – Friday, July 30th
- Packets available for pickup
- Take & Make Craft kits available
- 4th of July Family Celebration
- Monday, July 5th
- 8:30am – Coffee an’ at Senior Center
- 9:30am – Parade starts
- State Fire Marshall has lead on fire at Nichols Town Hall, Investigators from Virginia Office assisting
- No formal report
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Anderson to approve Pay Request No. 4 – for the Filter Replacement – Water Treatment Plant, in the amount of $196,776.83, to Magney Construction, Inc. Chanhassen, MN. This amount includes a 5% retainage. The motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote with Councilor Skogman and Councilor Buria absent.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Roskoski approve Pay Request No. 3 – Final for the Water Tower Improvement Project, in the amount of $41,022.50 to Viking Industrial Painting LLC, Omaha, NE. The motion carried unanimously on a roll call vote with Councilor Skogman and Councilor Buria absent.
- No formal report
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Roskoski to approve the recommendation of the Personnel Committee and hire Julia Knapper to the Mountain Iron Fire Department as a paid on call firefighter, contingent on physical and background check. The motion carried unanimously with Councilor Skogman and Councilor Buria absent.
- Merritt days Celebration, Sunday, August 8th – Saturday, August 14th
- Raffles, Car Show, “Larry Nanti” Run/walk, Parade, Fiddle Championship, Treasure Hunt, Food Vendors, Kids Corner, Family Day at West II Rivers Campground, Bingo, Street Dance, Live Music and Bands plus much more
It was moved by Roskoski and seconded by Prebeg to approve Resolution #11-21; Accepting the Coronavirus Local Fiscal Recovery Fund Established under the American Rescue Plan Act. The motion carried unanimously with Councilor Skogman and Councilor Buria absent.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Roskoski to reschedule the Monday, July 5, 2021 meeting due to the 4th of July Holiday to Tuesday, July 6, 2021 at 6:30pm in the Iroquois Room, at the Mountain Iron City Hall. The motion carried unanimously with Councilor Skogman and Councilor Buria absent.
- Merritt Days Committee meeting on Thursday, July 8th @ 6:00pm, Mountain Iron-Buhl High school Commons area (use door #4)
At 7:07p.m., it was moved by Roskoski and seconded by Prebeg that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried unanimously with Councilor Skogman and Councilor Buria absent.
Municipal Services Secretary
- City of Mountain Iron 4th of July Family Celebration, Monday, July 5th with Parade starting at 9:30am in Old Downtown Mountain Iron.
- Thank you from the Mountain Iron-Buhl High school Class of 2021 for the support.