June 18, 2018 City Council Minutes
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
June 18, 2018
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:31p.m. with the following members present: Councilor Joe Prebeg, Jr., Alan Stanaway, Steve Skogman, Susan Tuomela, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Tim Satrang, Director of Public Works; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Bryan Lindsay, City Attorney; Rod Flannigan, City Engineer; SGT John Backman, Sheriff’s Department. Absent: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the June 4, 2018, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period June 1-15, totaling $398,996.28 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period June 1-15, totaling $734,587.85 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried on roll call vote.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Skogman to recess the regular City Council meeting and open the public hearing for the Tax Increment Financing District (TIF) #16. The motion carried.
- No one spoke during the public hearing
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Skogman to close the public hearing on the Tax Increment Financing District (TIF) #16 and open the regular City Council meeting. The motion carried.
- Ed Roskoski spoke about the Enterprise Drive North/Highway 169/Highway 7 intersection
- Issues with no lane painted for those going straight, not consistent when compared with other traffic/lane paintings, striping, and traffic signals
- Stated the painting/striping and traffic signals were worse than what was previously there
- Mayor Skalko stated that the project was a MNDoT and St. Louis County project
- Any issues, concerns or problems with the project, contact MNDoT
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Congratulations to the Mountain Iron-Buhl Archery team and to Shay Bush who placed 18th out of 762 shooters in the Elementary Division at the NASP World Tournament in Louisville, KY
- Congratulations to Matt Niskanen and the Washington Capitals on beating the Las Vegas Golden Knights and winning the Stanley Cup
Director of Public Works:
- Power outage affected transmission feed to the system
- Power outage due to squirrel issue on Aster Avenue
- Flushing hydrants currently still in progress
- Summer help locating water valves, shortly after crews will be exercising mainline valves
- In the event of a storm or loss of power, lift stations will continue to operate due to emergency generators, thus helping to prevent flooding in residential areas
Library Director/Special Events Coordinator:
- Wednesday, June 20th at 1:00pm, “Wacky Wednesday” (Obstacle Course & Games)
- Thursday, June 21st at 1:00pm, Book to movie for kids “Wrinkle in Time”
- Tuesday, June 25th at 2:00pm, “Brodini Comedy magic show”
- Summer Reading program Theme “Reading takes you Everywhere”
- No formal report
- No formal report
- No formal report
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to accept the recommendation of the Personnel Committee and approve the Memorandum of Understanding between the City of Mountain Iron and AFSCME Local 453, Medicare Enrollment Language (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes).The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to approve Resolution #17-18; Modifying the Development Program relating to Development District No. 1, establishing Tax Increment Financing (TIF) District No. 1-16 and approving and accepting the proposed TIF Plan pursuant to Minnesota Statutes (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Skogman to approve Resolution #18-18; Authorizing Inter-fund Loan for the advance of certain costs in connection with the Tax Increment Financing (TIF) District No. 1-16 (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes).The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to approve Resolution #19-18; Approving a Contract for Private Development with Gruba Properties LLC for the development of certain property located within the Tax Increment Financing (TIF) District No. 1-16. This project consists of the construction of an 8500 square foot childcare facility to be owned by the developer and leased to Iron Range Tykes Learning Center (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes).The motion carried.
At 7:03p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Skogman that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Municipal Services Secretary