June 17, 2019 City Council Minutes
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
June 17, 2019
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:32pm. with the following members present: Councilor Joe Prebeg Jr., Alan Stanaway, Julie Buria, Steve Skogman, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Tim Satrang, Director of Public Works; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Anna Amundson, Library Director/Special Events Coordinator; Al Johnson, City Engineer; and SGT John Backman, Sheriff’s Department.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Prebeg that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Add the following items to the agenda:
- C. Variance application – Kyle McKenna
- Resolution #06-19; Make application and accept funds
- Approve the minutes of the May 20, 2019, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period June 1-15, totaling $333,413.08 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period June 1-15, totaling $472,131.17 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried.
- Dale Irish and Doug Colstead spoke in regards to the Mountain Iron American Legion Post #220 selling and serving alcohol as well the ability to sell/raffle guns at the Minnesota Deer Hunters Association Sturgeon River membership banquet in September
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Condolences to the family and friends of Edward Bakke
- Condolences to the family and friends of James Santa
- Condolences to the family and friends of Karla Sturdy
- Condolences to the family and friends Bonnie (Lind) Nelson
- Congratulations to Bryce Wainio, placed 16th at the AA State meet
- Congratulations to Jericho Peterson on State Track in the 100 and 200 meter dash
- Congratulations to the 8th-9th Grade Boys Pacesetter team
- Congratulations and job well done to Jason Gellerdstedt on singing at the Minnesota Twins Game
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to hire the following as a temporary summer employee:
The motion carried.
Director of Public Works:
- Large trash pickup started on June 3rd – wrapping up shortly
- City Crews working at the Recycling center, chipping brush pile
- St Louis County finishing up work on County Road 102/Mud Lake Road
Library Director/Special Events Coordinator:
- Summer Reading program started today, June 3rd
- Library sponsored events throughout the summer
- United Way of Northeastern Minnesota’s “Meet up and Chow Down,” free lunch program for all kids 18 and younger
- June 10th – August 29th (Monday-Thursday) 12-1:00pm at the Mountain Iron Library
- Celebrating Juneteenth
- Books of inclusion, diversity as well as the end of slavery
- Brodini comedy act on Friday, June 21st
- 4th of July parade posters and events posted throughout the Community and Facebook page
- New deputies started
- Fifth week of bears being sighted and reported throughout town
- Be cautious of scams and
- No formal report
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Buria to approve the Change Order No. 1, which increases the contract amount by $254.50, to George Bougalis and Sons Co. The motion carried on roll call vote.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to approve Pay Request #2 – Mud Lake Road Water Repair project, in the amount of $4,925.28 to George Bougalis and Sons Co., contingent on receiving required documentation. The motion carried on roll call vote.
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Buria to approve Resolution #05-19; Authorizing Benchmark Engineering to prepare plans and specifications for the reconstruction of Mountain Iron Drive, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Buria to approve Resolution #06-19; Authorizing the City of Mountain Iron to make an application and accept funds from the Development Infrastructure program from the Department of IRRR (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Stanaway to accept the recommendation of the Planning & Zoning Committee and approve the Variance application for Kyle McKenna to build a shed at 5699 Mineral Avenue. The motion carried.
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Prebeg to authorize the Mountain Iron American Legion Post #220 to sell and serve alcohol at the Minnesota Deer Hunters Association Sturgeon River membership banquet, scheduled for September 14, 2019 at the Mountain Iron Community Center. The motion carried.
At 7:10pm., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Skogman that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Municipal Services Secretary
- The League of Minnesota Cities Board of Directors voted at its May meeting to set a preliminary maximum member dues schedule to increase by 3% for the League’s 2020 fiscal year membership dues.