July 6, 2020 City Council Minutes
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
July 6, 2020
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:31p.m. with the following members present: Councilor Joe Prebeg Jr., Alan Stanaway, Julie Buria, Steve Skogman, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig Wainio, City Administrator; Tim Satrang, Director of Public Works; Anna Amundson, Library Director/Special Events Coordinator; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; and Al Johnson, City Engineer.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Buria that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Add the following items to the agenda:
VII. A. Resolution 13-20
- Approve the minutes of the June 15, 2020, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period June 16-30, totaling $170,162.07 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period June 16-30, totaling $221,883.03 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried.
- No one spoke during the forum
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Condolences to the family and friends of Clayton Stillwell
- Condolences to the family and friends of Renee “Cogger” Lushine
- Condolences to the family and friends of Ray Koski
- Happy belated birthday to Millie Babbina turned 95 years old July 4th
- Happy birthday to Bill Riccio turning 101 years old on July 17th
- Happy birthday to Darlene Anderson turning 85 years old on July 19th
- Happy birthday to Alan Stanaway turning 62 years old on July 6th
- Big thank you to all those who are helping to keep this country going!
- Update on Perkins Restaurant – plan is to re-open around August 1st
- Plaza 53 Retail Store – recently sold to young developers, have plans to update area
- The City is receiving $217,959 from the CARES ACT Funding, for anything related to COVID-19
- Baseball and Softball started practice recently, games will be starting shortly
- Pre-construction meeting for the two intersections – Mtn Iron/Virginia – starting the end of July
Director of Public Works:
- Many projects underway throughout the City of Mountain Iron:
- Mountain Iron Drive
- Prepping Water Plant to get ready for Water Tower project
- Replacing wires on Enterprise Drive South
- Replaced a few poles in Downtown Mountain Iron
Library Director/Special Events Coordinator:
- No formal report
- Pre-construction meeting with contractor that will be completing the Water Tower project, anticipated project will start next week (2nd week of July), will know more after meeting
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to authorize City Staff to purchase 170 tons of regular road salt for the 2020-2021 winter season at the State bid price of $57.54/ton, plus a $10.16 delivery fee and $5.00/per month storage fee. The motion carried on roll call vote.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to approve Resolution #13-20; Clarifying Limitations of City Sponsored/Permitted Public Gatherings (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
At 7:00p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Buria that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Municipal Services Secretary
- Minnesota Power (MP) has contracted with Osmose Utility Services to do routine pole inspections for MP’s #36 line, which runs from Virginia Substation to Inland Taconite Co. Minorca Substation. This work is scheduled to start on July 29th, with an expected completion date of August 7th.
- Thank you from the Angel Fund for the donation, which directly helps supports people in the area battling cancer.