July 16, 2018 City Council Minutes
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
July 16, 2018
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:32p.m. with the following members present: Councilor Alan Stanaway, Steve Skogman, Susan Tuomela, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Tim Satrang, Director of Public Works; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary;; SGT John Backman, Sheriff’s Department. Absent: Councilor Joe Prebeg, Jr., Sally Yuccas, Library Director/Special Events Coordinator and Rod Flannigan, City Engineer.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the July 2, 2018, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period July 1-15, totaling $988,690.16 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period July 1-15, totaling $605,528.55 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried on roll call vote with Councilor Prebeg absent.
- Ed Roskoski spoke regarding the mural which was recently installed at the Mountain Iron Senior Center, which was purchased by the first graduating class of Mountain Iron in 1915
- Discussed why there was such a gap between the first discovery of Iron Ore, formation of the town and the first graduating class
- Director of Public Works, Tim Satrang informed that the mural which was given to the City of Mountain Iron was previously displayed in the old Mountain Iron-Buhl High School on the north side of the Main hall at the school, taken down during the 2000’s renovation of the High School
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Condolences to the family and friends of Jack Zollar
- Happy Birthday to William “Billy” Riccio, turning 99 years on July 18th
- Happy Birthday to Elma Riccio, turning 93 years on July 30th
- Met with US Steel, plans are to demolish eight homes, currently boarded/closed up, within the Parkville area by October 1st
- Congratulations to the 6th & 8th Grade Girls Basketball team at the Pacesetter Minnesota Youth Basketball State Championship
- Congratulations on a job well done to the 7th & 8th Grade Boys Basketball team at the Great Five-State Championship
Walker, Giroux, and Hahne, LLC. Representative, Tom Kelly discussed the City of Mountain Iron’s 2017 Audit and recommendations for the City.
- Iron Range Tykes Learning center, moving forward with footings and foundation work
- Great job to the Mountain Iron-Buhl 7th & 8th Grade Boys Basketball, won State Tournament, won one game but lost two at the Great Five-State Championship, held July 15th in Minneapolis, overall had a great year
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Tuomela that the Council appoint the following to serve as an election judge for the August 14, 2018, Primary Election and the November 6, 2018, General Election:
Precinct #2–City Hall, Iroquois Room
And further, authorize them to be paid $10.00 per hour for training, absentee processing (if needed), and election hours; as well as provide one hot meal to the election judges on election days. The motion carried with Councilor Prebeg absent.
Director of Public Works:
- Electric wire purchased will replace the wire around the Perkins and Walmart area and be a voltage upgrade
- Ditching crew out and about on gravel roads
- Crews out readjusting manhole covers
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Skogman to approve the quote from Border States, for the purchase of 3- 2750 foot rolls of Electric wire for the low price of $16,454.13. The motion carried on roll call vote with Councilor Prebeg absent.
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Stanaway to accept the recommendation from the Merritt Days Committee and block Main Street from Marble Avenue to Mesabi Avenue and extend Mountain Avenue blocking north to Locomotive Street, beginning at 7:00am on Friday, August 10th to the morning of Sunday, August 12th. The motion carried with Councilor Prebeg absent.
- No formal report
- No formal report
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Skogman to accept the recommendation of the Personal Committee and transfer Mr. Scott Novak from the position of Maintenance, Job Class 16, to the position of Journeyman Lineman, Job Class 22, effective immediately. The motion carried with Councilor Prebeg absent.
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Skogman to approve the 1 day Temporary On-Sale Liquor License for Sundberg Enterprise, LLC, dba: Sawmill Saloon and Restaurant to sell during the City of Mountain Iron’s Merritt Days celebration on August 11, 2018. The motion carried with Councilor Prebeg absent.
At 7:14 p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Skogman that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Municipal Services Secretary
- Louis County Environmental Services Department offering a “Business Hazardous Waste Collection, Very Small Quantity Generator,” at the Virginia Regional Landfill (HHW Building) on August 15, 2018 from 9:00am to 3:00pm. For an appointment call B-CLEAN at least one week in advance at (218) 741-8831
- “Miriam Kailanen” Baseball Field Dedication, Thursday, July 26, 2018 at 6:00pm at the West Two Rivers Campground.