July 15, 2019 City Council Minutes
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
July 15, 2019
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:42p.m. with the following members present: Councilor Joe Prebeg Jr., Alan Stanaway, Julie Buria, Steve Skogman, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig Wainio, City Administrator; Tim Satrang, Director of Public Works; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Rod Flannigan, City Engineer; Bryan Lindsay, City Attorney; and SGT John Backman, Sheriff’s Department.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Buria that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the July 1, 2019, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period July 1-15, totaling $203,585.03 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period July 1-15, totaling $580,330.71 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried.
- No one spoke during public forum
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Spoke with a Representative regarding the development in Rock Ridge
- 70-unit market based rate apartment – construction possible spring of 2020
- Happy belated birthday to Millie Babbini turned 94 on July 4th
- Happy belated birthday to Elma Riccio turned 93 on July 1st
- Happy birthday to Bill Riccio turning 100 years old on July 17th
- Happy birthday to Helen Sainio turning 94 on August 3rd
- Spoke with a Representative from MNDOT-discussed plans to redo the intersections by Walgreens and Super One South in the summer of 2020
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Stanaway to maintain the City of Mountain Iron’s current coverage, thus not waiving the monetary limits on municipal tort liability established by MN Statue Section 466.04, and to approve the Liability Coverage with the League of Minnesota Cities. The motion carried.
Director of Public Works:
- Ditch mower out – tall grass will be properly maintained once it is fixed
- City Crews out performing concrete and paint work in old downtown
- Do not feed bears – be aware as bird feeders are encouraging them
- August 1st – “Hands free Cell-phone use” policy enforced
- No formal report
- No formal report
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to approve Pay Request No. 8 in the amount of $13,537.46 and Pay Request No. 9 in the amount of $28,118.40 for the Nichols Wastewater Pond Decommissioning project, to Veit Company, Duluth, MN. This amount releases the retainage for this project. The motion carried on roll call vote (Yes: Prebeg, Stanaway, Skogman, Buria & Skalko; No: ).
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Buria to approve the request to block off Main Street in Old Town, between Mountain and Mesabi, for a Car show to be held in Downtown Mountain Iron between 12 noon and 3:00pm on August 10, 2019. The motion carried.
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Stanaway to recommend the idea of possibly hiring an individual on a casual basis to cite blight throughout the summer months to the Personal Committee. Amend motion to also include forward idea to the Public Health and Safety Committee. The motion carried.
At 7:05p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Buria that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Municipal Services Secretary