January 19, 2021 City Council Minutes
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
January 19, 2021
Mayor Anderson called the City Council meeting to order at 6:30p.m. with the following members present: Councilor Julie Buria, Steve Skogman, Joe Prebeg Jr., Ed Roskoski, and Peggy Anderson. Also present were: Craig Wainio, City Administrator; Tim Satrang, Director of Public Works; Anna Amundson, Library Director/Special Events Coordinator; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Al Johnson, City Engineer; and SGT Kevin Friebe, Sheriff’s Department.
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Buria that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the January 4, 2021, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period January 1-15, totaling $229,812.49 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes),
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period January 1-15, totaling $538,123.52 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried.
- No one spoke during the public forum
The Mayor reported on the following:
- No formal report
It was moved by Roskoski and seconded by Buria to appoint Paul Jacobsen to the Utility Advisory Board, with his term expiring on December 31, 2023. The motion carried.
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Buria to appoint Joe Prebeg (Council Appointment) to the Economic Development Authority (EDA), with term expiring December 31, 2025. The motion carried.
- Proud to be a part of the Vaccine pilot program for the State of Minnesota, registration started today, Tuesday, January 19th at noon. Registration can be done 2 ways:
- Online at mn.gov/covid19/vaccine/index.jsp
- By calling (612) 426-7230
- Recommended for CDBG Funding for Phase III slip-lining of sewers in Downtown Mountain Iron in the amount of $50,000
Director of Public Works:
- 2020 Power outages update
- Most of them from the feed received from Virginia
- Contractor hit main feed when performing maintenance work
- Working with Minnesota Power and Benchmark Engineering to be more independent and get off Virginia’s feed
- Water treatment filter upgrade project starting this week, water and gravity filters being upgraded
Library Director/Special Events Coordinator:
- Winter Reading program, Monday, January 4th – Friday, February 26th
- No formal report
- No formal report
It was moved by Buria and seconded by to Prebeg approve Change Order #1, Providing process piping exclusively manufactured in the US in lieu of non-domestic origin, for Filter Replacement in the amount of $39,577.27, to Magney Construction. The motion carried on a roll call vote.
- No formal report, P&Z and Public Health and Safety have not had a recent meeting to report on
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Roskoski to adopt the changes to the ordinances presented by the Public Health and Safety Board at the December meeting. The motion carried.
Shared Services update:
- Mountain Iron Interim Fire Chief, Mark Madden and Virginia Fire Chief, Allen Lewis, spoke about Mountain Iron Fire Department and Virginia Fire Department working together
- Power-point presentation was given regarding discussions which have been taking place to discuss ways for a possible transition for the Fire Departments to consolidate, sharing services and resources to better serve the communities
At 8:09p.m., it was moved by and seconded by that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Municipal Services Secretary