February 3, 2020 City Council Minutes
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
February 3, 2020
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:33p.m. with the following members present: Councilor Alan Stanaway, Julie Buria, Steve Skogman, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig Wainio, City Administrator; Tim Satrang, Director of Public Works; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Al Johnson, City Engineer; and SGT Backman, Sheriff’s Department. Absent members: Councilor Joe Prebeg Jr.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Buria that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Add the following items to the agenda:
- Library Board appointment
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Pet Licenses
- Approve the minutes of the January 21, 2020, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period January 16-31, totaling $301,202.58 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period January 16-31, totaling $212,220.30 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried with Councilor Prebeg absent.
- No one spoke during the forum
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Condolences to the family and friends of Aubrey Klingfus
- Condolences to the family and friends of Adeline Dean
- Happy birthday to Ellen Martinson-Pevach turned 99 years old on December 3rd
- Congratulations to the recent Basketball Hall of Fame Inductees
- Frank Oberstar – Mountain Iron Class of 1970
- Lyle Giersdorf – Mountain Iron Class of 1976
- Jayne Haugejorde – Mountain Iron Class of 1979
- Shelly Renzaglia – Mountain Iron-Buhl Class of 1986
- Kim Fierke – Mountain Iron-Buhl Class of 1987
- Jon Gornick – Mountain Iron-Buhl Coach
Councilor Joe Prebeg Jr. entered the meeting at 6:42p.m.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Buria to appoint Paula Satrang to the Library Board, with her term expiring on December 31, 2022. The motion carried.
- Firefighter Grant Review Board in Albertville last week- Awarded Implementation Grant of $19,400 to help with implantation of Shared Services (Emergency Services) in Virginia and Mountain Iron
Director of Public Works:
- Water-line service repair in South Grove
- City Crews hauling snow out of neighborhoods – please be aware of crew and drivers
- Frost is roughly at 48inches – currently no issue
- Brief electrical outage today – isolated area
- No formal report
- Currently working on technical specifications for Water Tower rehabilitation
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Skogman to set the Local Board of Appeals and Equalization (LBAE) for May 12, 2020 from 5:00pm to 6:00pm at the Mountain Iron City Hall. The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to authorize Sundberg Enterprises, LLC, DBA: Sawmill Saloon & Restaurant to serve alcohol at the Holy Spirit’s “Theology on Tap,” scheduled for February 8, 2020 at the Mountain Iron Community Center. The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Buria to reschedule the February 17, 2020 meeting due to the President’s Day Holiday to Tuesday, February 18, 2020 at 6:30pm at the Mountain Iron City Hall. The motion carried.
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Buria to start each City Council meeting by reciting the Pledge of Allegiance. The motion carried unanimously.
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Prebeg to advertise in Hometown Focus and Mesabi Daily News as well as to post on Facebook, a reminder regarding the purchases of pet licenses in the City. The motion carried.
At 7:07p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Buria that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Municipal Services Secretary