February 18, 2020 City Council Minutes
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
February 18, 2020
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:31p.m. with the following members present: Councilor Joe Prebeg Jr.; Alan Stanaway, Julie Buria, Steve Skogman, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig Wainio, City Administrator; Tim Satrang, Director of Public Works; Anna Amundson, Library Director/Special Events Coordinator; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; and Al Johnson, City Engineer.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Buria that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the February 3, 2020, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period February 1-15, totaling $144,564.45 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period February 1-15, totaling $597,668.69 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried.
- No one spoke during the forum
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Good luck to the local Hockey teams and the MIB Girls’ and Boys’ Basketball teams in the upcoming tournaments
- West II Rivers Campground reservations start March 2nd at 9:00 am, the campground opens the Friday before Open Fishing weekend
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Skogman to authorize Jacquelyn Loeffen’s probation to expire and allow her to become a permanent employee effective after the expiration of her probation. The motion carried.
Director of Public Works:
- City Crews hauling snow out of neighborhoods – please be aware of crew and drivers
- Roughly 1200 yards of snow being moved daily by City Crews
Library Director/Special Events Coordinator:
- Wednesday, February 19th at 6:00pm, Merritt Days Committee meeting
- Saturday, April 11th at 12:00noon sharp “35th Annual Easter Egg Hunt, Saturday”
- No formal report
- No formal report
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Prebeg to approve Pay Request #2 Final Payment for the Unity Drive Water-main Repairs project in the amount of $6,931, which releases the 5% retainage and closes the project to Bougalis Inc., Hibbing, MN. The motion carried on roll call vote.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to accept the recommendation of the Utility Advisory Board and authorize an increase in monthly service fees for garbage, for both residential and commercial to the rates as presented. Garbage rates were raised roughly 5 years ago, 6 years ago for the water and 5 years ago for the wastewater. The motion carried unanimously.
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Buria to approve Ordinance #01-20; Amending the Official Zoning Map in and for the City of Mountain Iron for the Woodland Estates, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Skogman to seek bids on the Water Tower Rehabilitation Project. The motion carried.
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Prebeg to donate $100 to the Mountain Iron-Buhl Archery, funds helping with the purchase of equipment and program continuation, monies to come from the Charitable Gambling Fund. The motion carried on roll call vote.
At 7:15p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Buria that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Municipal Services Secretary
- Local Board of Appeals and Equalization (LBAE) scheduled for May 12, 2020 from 5:00pm to 6:00pm at the Mountain Iron City Hall