City Council Minutes 052118
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
May 21, 2018
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:32p.m. with the following members present: Councilor Joe Prebeg, Jr., Alan Stanaway, Steve Skogman, Susan Tuomela, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Tim Satrang, Director of Public Works; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Bryan Lindsay, City Attorney; Rod Flannigan, City Engineer and SGT John Backman, Sheriff’s Department.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the May 7, 2018, regular meeting as submitted.
- Approve the minutes of the May 7, 2018, Local Board of Appeals and Equalization
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period May 1-7, totaling $206,081.81 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period May 1-7, totaling $328,169.24 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried on roll call vote.
- No one spoke during the public forum
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Condolences to the family and friends of Paul Peterson
- Condolences to the family and friends of Kenneth R. Lampi
- Condolences to those families and the community which was affected by the recent school shooting in Santa Fe, Texas
- Best of Luck to the Capitals and Matt Niskanen as they play Game six
Best wishes and a speedy recovery from the City Councilors to Claudia Skalko as she recovers from her recent surgery.
The City Administrator reported on the following:
- Attended IRRRB board meeting in St. Paul, awarded $350,000 Grant for infrastructure work for development located in the Rock Ridge Development
Director of Public Works:
- Consumer Confidence Report, submitted to the Department of Health yearly, just a snap shot of power/water quality is for the City over the past year (posted on website and City Hall)
- Power outage located Parkville, West Virginia, due to feed source into Mountain Iron
- Nichols Town Lagoon project almost ready to start Wetlands planting
- Waterline break hopefully repaired during the week
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Tuomela to approve Consumer Confidence Report as presented. The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to hire the following as summer temporary employees:
Cody Ellis Jill Ellis
Corey Johnson Josh Inmon
Justin Inmon Lisa Stevens
The motion carried.
- No formal report
- No formal report
- No formal report
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Skogman to approve the recommendation of City Engineer and award the Iron Range Tykes Learning Center project to Mesabi Bituminous of Gilbert, MN in the amount of $344,059, contingent upon Contractor’s acceptance of Change Order #1. The motion carried on a roll call vote.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to approve Change Order No. 1 for the Iron Range Tykes Learning Center project, with a decrease in the contract amount of $53,382 to Mesabi Bituminous. The new contract price including change order will be $290,677, the change order is to modify the contract quantities based on revised grading plan and elimination of chain link fence. The motion carried on roll call vote.
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Skogman to approve the recommendation of the Street Committee and approve Resolution #15-18; Ordering Preparation of Report of Improvement for the southern portion of Mountain Iron Drive between 12th Street and the Southerly Corporate Limits of the City of Mountain Iron as a potential 2019 road construction project. The motion carried.
The council reviewed the list of communications.
At 6:58p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Municipal Services Secretary
- Thank you from Mesabi Family YMCA for the support for their Dinner & Auction Fundraiser.
- The annual hearing on unmined iron ore assessments for the year 2018 will be at 10:00am, Monday, May 21, 2018 in the U.S. Bank Building, 230 1st Street S, Suite 102, Virginia, MN.