City Council Minutes 020518
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
February 5, 2018
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:31p.m. with the following members present: Alan Stanaway, Steve Skogman, Susan Tuomela, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Tim Satrang, Director of Public Works; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Rod Flannigan, City Engineer and SGT John Backman, Sheriff’s Department. Absent members: Councilor Joe Prebeg, Jr.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
Approve the minutes of the January 16, 2018, regular meeting as submitted.
That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
To acknowledge the receipts for the period January 16-31, totaling $438,712.45 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period January 16-31, totaling $333,444.02 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried with Councilor Prebeg absent.
- No one spoke during forum
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Condolences to the family and friends of James Duffy
The City Administrator reported on the following:
- Received notice that the City will receive a $4,750 Seed Grant from the Clean Energy Resource Teams (CERTs)
- AFSME Local Union has filed intent to negotiate for staff
Director of Public Works:
- Service outages, transformer was replaced; first water line break of the year
Library Director/Special Events Coordinator:
- “Blind Date with a book,” Monday-Wednesday, February 12-14
- “Storytime,” on Tuesday, February 13th with Coffee’n afterwards
- Easter Egg hunt scheduled for March 31st
- No formal report
- No formal report
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela to approve the recommendation of the Building and Grounds Committee and approve the proposed audio/visual service for the Community Center from Tierney Brothers, Inc., St. Paul, MN in the amount of $79,204.33. The motion carried on roll call vote, with Councilor Prebeg absent.
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Stanaway to approve Ordinance Number 01-18; Regulating Fire Hydrants, to properly regulate private fire hydrants in order to provide public safety, it is necessary for the City of provide for the inspection and repairs of fire hydrants located on private property (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried with Councilor Prebeg absent.
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Skogman to approve Resolution Number 02-18; PolyMet Support, the City of Mountain Iron declares its support for the issuance of state permits, and its success of the project in meeting Minnesota’s strict environmental standards through a comprehensive environmental permitting process (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried with Councilor Prebeg absent.
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Skogman to reschedule the February 19, 2017 meeting due to the Presidents Day Holiday to Tuesday, February 20th at 6:30pm. The motion carried with Councilor Prebeg absent.
The council reviewed the list of communications.
At 6:50p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Skalko that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried with Councilor Prebeg absent.
Municipal Services Secretary
- Louis County Planning Commission scheduled a Public Hearing Thursday, February 8, 2018 at the Northland Office Center in Virginia. The Planning Commission will consider comments and concerns on the proposed Safe Routes to School Program language amendments to St. Louis County Subdivision Ordinance 60.
- MN Dept. of Health by Regional Engineer, no deficiencies found, big thank you to all the operators at the Water/Wastewater Treatment Plants.