April 6, 2020 City Council Minutes
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
April 6, 2020
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 7:01p.m. with the following members present via online ZOOM meeting: Councilor Joe Prebeg Jr.; Alan Stanaway, Julie Buria, Steve Skogman, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig Wainio, City Administrator; Tim Satrang, Director of Public Works; Anna Amundson, Library Director/Special Events Coordinator; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; and SGT John Backman, Sheriff’s Department.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Buria that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the March 16, 2020, regular meeting as submitted.
- Approve the minutes of the March 23, 2020, Emergency meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period March 16-31, totaling $230,644.93 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period March 16-31, totaling $318,474.38 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried.
- No one spoke during the forum
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Condolences to the family and friends of Tim Johnston
- Condolences to the family and friends of Jesse Giroux
- Condolences to the family and friends of Anthony “Rocky” Scinto
- Condolences to the family and friends of Alice Skipper
- Big thank you to all the Healthcare workers throughout the Nation
- City Hall office is open but CLOSED to the public until further notice
- Currently discussing summer related activities, no definite decisions at this time
- Summer Employees, if they are needed this summer
- WII Rivers Campground, possibly opening later than normal
- Summer Parks & Recreation Programs, ball programs might not be possible
Director of Public Works:
- Remember that anything besides toilet paper clogs sewers and is NOT flushable
- City Offices and Garage are closed Friday for the Easter Holiday, Garbage pick-up as normal
- Discontinued “curb-side recycling,” for Residential customers
- Recycling Center still open at this time
- Commercial cardboard pickup has been discontinued until further notice
- Roll-off containers for cardboard drop off for Commercial customers
- Roll-offs at Nichols Town Hall and behind Walgreens
- Street crews out sweeping and cleaning roads and sidewalks
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Prebeg to authorize the purchase of a Gravely Pro-Turn ZX 60 inch zero turn mower, from L&M Supply for the price of $6,029.99. The motion carried on a roll call vote.
Library Director/Special Events Coordinator:
- “35th Annual Easter Egg Hunt” POSTPONED until further notice
- “Monday Music” instead of “Young Readers Story time”
- 5 events canceled at the end of March
- 13 events canceled for the month of April
- Looking into the possibility of “No Contact curbside” pickup
- No formal report
- Call volume down by about ½
- No formal report
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to approve Change Order No. 1 – Downtown Sanitary Sewer Improvement project, in the amount of $9,000 to Insituform Technologies USA, Inc, Chesterfield, MO. This amount in for the use of special service cutting machine, which is needed to safely cut service lines in a manner, which is less likely to cause damage to the sanitary sewer main. The motion carried on roll call vote.
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Buria to approve Resolution #03-20; allowing the City to apply to the Public Facilities Authorities Drinking Water Revolving Loan Fund, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Buria to approve Resolution #04-20; Approving Plans and Specifications and Ordering Advertisement for Bids for the Mountain Iron Drive Project, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
At 7:54p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Buria that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Municipal Services Secretary
- Local Board of Appeals and Equalization (LBAE) scheduled for May 12, 2020 from 5:00pm to 6:00pm