April 20, 2020 City Council Minutes
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
April 20, 2020
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:37p.m. with the following members present via online ZOOM meeting: Councilor Joe Prebeg Jr., Alan Stanaway, Julie Buria, Steve Skogman, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig Wainio, City Administrator; Tim Satrang, Director of Public Works; Anna Amundson, Library Director/Special Events Coordinator; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Bryan Lindsay, City Attorney; Al Johnson, City Engineer, and SGT John Backman, Sheriff’s Department.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Buria that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the April 6, 2020, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period April 1-15, totaling $137,889.80 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period April 1-15, totaling $340,819.65 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried.
- No one spoke during the forum
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Condolences to the family and friends of Bruce Brickert
- Condolences to the family and friends of Richard (Dick) Washburn Sr.
- Condolences to the family and friends of Ida Renzaglia
- Big THANK YOU to all healthcare workers, truck drivers, food industry/service workers, Government & City workers, utility workers and many more that are so essential at this time
- No summer employees – not essential at this time
- West II Rivers Campground – closed until June 1st – will re-evaluate as needed
- Summer Recreation Programs – still no decision if this will be available during summer
Director of Public Works:
- Spring cleaning/sweeper out – please be aware
- Any garbage at home should be bagged to prevent contact with employees
- Recycling Center usage:
- Separate recycling items properly
- Any damage caused by snow plow/loader during the winter months, please contact City Hall
- List is being started for future repair
Library Director/Special Events Coordinator:
- The Mountain Iron Library is currently closed until further notice
- Legacy/Kids programs through August have been cancelled
- Summer Reading Program to via online (no date yet)
- No formal report
- Please do not feed bears
- No formal report
- Insituform will start slip-lining in downtown area roughly last week of April
- No formal report
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Buria to accept the recommendation of the Planning & Zoning Committee and approve the Conditional Use and Variance permit for Joel Haataja at Parcel Code 175-0071-01689. The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to approve Resolution #05-20; Making a Declaration of Official Intent Under U.S. Treasury Regulations Section 1.150-2, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Buria to approve Resolution #06-20; Accepting Bid for Improvement Project #19-08, to Viking Industrial for low bid price of $811,900, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried unanimously on roll call vote.
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Stanaway to approve Resolution #07-20; Authorizing the City of Mountain Iron to make an Application and Accept Funds from the Community Infrastructure Grant Program from the Department of IRRR, to assist with three water system improvement projects (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Prebeg to approve Resolution #08-20; Authorizing the City of Mountain Iron to make an Application to and Accept Funds from the Mineland Reclamation Grant Program from the Department of IRRR, for the development of a utility scale solar farm, (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Buria to accept the recommendation of the Shared Services Committee and appoint, Councilor Stanaway, as the additional City Council member to the Committee. The motion carried, with Councilor Stanaway abstaining.
At 7:40p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Skogman that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Municipal Services Secretary
- Local Board of Appeals and Equalization (LBAE) scheduled for May 12, 2020 from 5:00pm to 6:00pm