April 15, 2019 City Council Minutes
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
April 15, 2019
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:31pm. with the following members present: Councilor Joe Prebeg Jr., Alan Stanaway, Steve Skogman, Julie Buria, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Tim Satrang, Director of Public Works; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Al Johnson, City Engineer; and SGT John Backman, Sheriff’s Department.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Skogman that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the April 1, 2019 regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period April 16-30, totaling $219,127.98 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period April 16-30, totaling $302,414.68 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried unanimously.
- No one spoke during the forum
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Happy birthday to Paul Fischer turning 99 years old on April 26th
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Prebeg to honor Gladys Johnson with a proclamation, for turning 100 years old on May 5th, wish to honor her for her long life and prosperity and wish her many more. The motion carried.
- Secretary position closed, Friday, April 12th at 4pm, possible recommendation for position at first meeting in May
- Caretaker position for West II Rivers Campground closed, Monday, April 15th at 4pm, possible recommendation for position at first meeting in May
- Thank you and good luck to Rhonda McConnell for her service at City Hall and Mountain Iron Library
Director of Public Works:
- Please be aware of Street Sweeper crews and pothole repairs
- Tree trimming in progress
- Water line repair in South Grove
- No formal report
- Calendar parking has ended
- No formal report
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Prebeg to appoint Mayor Skalko and Councilor Buria as the alternate Range Association of Municipalities and Schools (RAMS) representatives. The motion carried.
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Buria to send out certifications of appreciation to the City of Mountain Iron volunteers. The motion carried.
Councilor Stanaway opened the discussion regarding alternate Merritt Days activities
Councilor Prebeg stated Parks & Recreation Board next week, discussion for ideas
- Any events or ideas would require a large amount of volunteers
- Several Class Reunions plan their reunion event around the Merritt Days Celebration
- 2019 Local Board of Appeal and Equalization is scheduled for Tuesday, April 16, 2019 from 5:00-6:00pm at the Mountain Iron Community Center
- Shared Services Study with Virginia and Mountain Iron City Officials on April 17th at 2:00pm at the Mountain Iron Community Center
- The Mountain Iron Parks and Recreation Department will be sponsoring the 34th Annual Easter Egg Hunt, Saturday, April 20th at 12:00pm at the Merritt Elementary School
At 6:56pm., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Skogman that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Municipal Services Secretary
- Thank you from the St. Louis County Youth in Action for the continued support and recent donation to their “Youth in Action Conference,” held at Fortune Bay Resort.