April 1, 2019 City Council Minutes
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
April 1, 2019
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:30p.m. with the following members present: Councilor Joe Prebeg Jr., Alan Stanaway, Steve Skogman, Julie Buria, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Tim Satrang, Director of Public Works; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Anna Amundson, Library Director/Special Events Coordinator; Rod Flannigan, City Engineer; and Bryan Lindsay, City Attorney; and SGT John Backman, Sheriff’s Department.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Skogman that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Add the following items to the agenda:
- MNDOT- request for letter for Highway 169
- Labor Management meeting- Wednesday 24th
- Approve the minutes of the March 18, 2019 regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period March 16-31, totaling $156,776.34 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period March 16-31, totaling $302,414.68 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried unanimously.
- Kurt Schneider made a brief public statement on behalf of the Merritt Days Committee
- March 19th Merritt Days Committee suspended the 2019 Merritt Days Celebration
- Discussion ensued between Merritt Days Committee members and Council members regarding information about Merritt Days
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Condolences to the family and friends of Rose (Cerkvenik) Buria
- Condolences to the family and friends of Evelyn (Terrio) Hilmas
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Buria to appoint Marcia Bergquist to the Library Board, with a term to expire on December 31, 2021. The motion carried.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Stanaway to request a letter be sent to MNDOT, Senator Tomassoni, and Representative Lislegard regarding the horrible condition of US Highway 169. The motion carried.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Skogman to set a Labor Management meeting with Union Representatives, for Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at 2:00pm at City Hall, with Councilor Prebeg as the Council Representative. The motion carried.
- Joint meeting with Virginia and Mountain Iron City Officials on April 17th at 2:00pm at the Mountain Iron Community Center
- discuss/lay ground rules and groundwork from Shared Services Study
- set up Joint Committee
- Representative from the State Fire Marshal’s office available
- Several Pacesetter basketball Championships taken place over the weekend
- Several winning teams over the weekend
- 8th grade Boys Pacesetter team won Regional Pacesetter Championship for 4th year
Director of Public Works:
- Please be aware of Street Sweeper crews and pothole repairs
- Tree trimming in progress
- Residents with service lines issues are recommended to continue to take precautions
Library Director/Special Events Coordinator:
- Easter Egg Hunt, Saturday, April 20th at noon at Merritt Elementary School
- No formal report
- No formal report
- No formal report
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to accept the recommendation of the Parks and Recreation Board authorizing Staff to advertise for temporary seasonal employees and seasonal coaches for the summer months. Once a list of potential employees is developed, it will be forwarded to the City Council for final approval. The motion carried.
- Seasonal Summer Employees
- Must be 18 years of age or older to apply
- Seasonal Summer Coaches
- Adult Coaches-19 years of age or older to apply
- Assistant Coaches- 16 years of age or older to apply
- Umpires-16 years of age or older to apply (wage is per game)
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Buria to put letter in personnel file, as well as receive a copy of the letter, for lifesaving event for First Responders, Keith and Julie Nyman and James Hipple. The motion carried.
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Prebeg to allow Fire Fighters and First Responders to attend the “Step up and Lead, Leadership and Team Building Seminar,” by Deputy Chief (retired) Frank Viscuso, hosted by Eden Prairie Fire Department, at the Eden Prairie Fire Department on May 22, 2019 . The motion carried.
It was moved by Buria and seconded by Skogman to Cap Merritt Days spending on live music and audio as follows: of the $20,000 of public monies allotted for the 2019 Merritt Days, would be $3,000 on music and $4,000 on an audio music stage. Councilor Buria amended the motion to put the cap of $3,500 on music and $4,000 on an audio stage, Skogman seconded amended motion. The motion carried on roll call vote (No: Prebeg, Stanaway and Skogman Yes: Buria and Skalko).
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to cap Merritt Days spending on live music at $3,500 and $9,000 on audio stage and equipment for the 2019 Merritt Days Celebration, with discussion regarding cap to be discussed for future celebrations. The motion carried on roll call vote (No: Buria and Skalko Yes: Prebeg, Stanaway and Skogman)
It was moved by Stanaway and seconded by Prebeg to approve the recommendation of the Public Health and Safety Committee and approve Ordinance #01-19; Emergency Management, bringing the ordinance in alignment with neighboring communities so coordination will be seamless.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Skogman to authorize the Soroptimist of Virginia a Temporary On-sale Liquor License, for their Fundraiser to be held on April 24, 2019 at the Cinema 6 Movie Theatre. The motion carried.
- 2019 Local Board of Appeal and Equalization is scheduled for Tuesday, April 16, 2019 from 5:00-6:00pm at the Mountain Iron Community Center
- The Mountain Iron Parks and Recreation Department will be sponsoring the 34th Annual Easter Egg Hunt, Saturday, April 20th at 12:00pm at the Merritt Elementary School
At 7:56p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Buria that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Municipal Services Secretary